There are occasions when member agencies of the DOA enterprise have special conditions or extraordinary requirements that prevent them from conforming with a standard. Agencies may request an exemption from an approved standard by addressing paragraphs 1 and 2 below, in writing, to the DOA Information Technology Desktop support group. (DOAIT@admin.state.ak.us) Exceptions or conflicts are resolved by the State Technology Management Council (TMC).
Situations That May Lead To Exemptions Include:
- Federal restrictions when funding of the acquisition is predominantly federal;
- Legislative or regulatory mandates requiring exceptional measures;
- The standard would preclude the ability to transfer a system from another organization;
- Upgrades to the installed base of existing systems.
However, Exceptions Shall Be Granted Only If:
- Compliance with the standard would adversely affect the ability of the agency to accomplish mission critical functions; or,
- Compliance would cause a major adverse financial impact on the agency which is not offset by enterprise savings.
Agencies wishing to obtain an exemption, must make a written case that the exemption outweighs the good of the enterprise.