State of Alaska, Department of Administration, Division of General Services

State of Alaska >  Departments >  Administration >  General Services >  Property >  Handbook


Revised June, 2000

View Handbook in Printer Friendly Version



TEL: 907-279-0596
FAX: 907-278-0352

State Property Manager
Matthew Moore



This State Property Control Handbook is a guide for Department Property Officers and Property Custodians within executive branch departments and agencies of State government. It describes your responsibilities and your authority in the management of State property. It includes detailed information about particular property management procedures and issues. A separate and larger guide, the State Property Control Manual is more in-depth and has examples of completed forms.

This is intended as a quick reference for Property Custodians in need of summary information.

This Handbook sets forth minimum requirements established by the Department of Administration. Individual departments and agencies have authority to establish additional internal controls and those departmental policies and procedures must also be consulted.

The Department of Administration, Information Technology Group is responsible for communications equipment. Official use vehicles and heavy equipment are the responsibility of the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, State Equipment Fleet. The Department of Fish and Game, Game Division is responsible for hides, pelts and animal parts that become State property. We encourage you to contact these agencies for more detailed information. Further, the Department of Public Safety is responsible for the storing and disposition of evidence and the Department of Education is responsible for the storage and handling of artifacts. All other State property is the responsibility of Property Management Officers and Custodians.



Maintaining accountability for the multi-billion dollar inventory of state-owned and controlled property is by far the most important responsibility of the Property Management Office (PMO). With the help of Department Property Officers and Property Custodians, the PMO exercises this responsibility in a variety of ways, including:

PROPERTY CONTROL MANAGEMENT: helping state agencies with accurate, effective property control management when property is acquired or excessed;

ANNUAL INVENTORY: establishing procedures for an annual inventory;

PROPERTY TRANSFERS: overseeing inter-agency property transfers;

EXCESS STATE PROPERTY DISPOSAL: selling state property which is excess to the needs of any state department;

PROPERTY CONTROL SYSTEM: coordination and oversight of the computerized property lists.

Excess State Property Disposal is the one function that most often causes Property Officers and Custodians to turn to the PMO for help. However, effective property control on an on-going basis is the best way for agencies to fulfill their duty to account for the public property they use or control and for which they have an obligation to protect.

The PMO's goal is to assure that state agencies get the maximum benefit from the property the state owns and controls. Accordingly, priority is given to property management decisions that provide for the re-use of state property and, where cost-effective, the salvage of usable items or parts.

return to table of contents


1-1. Overview

The State of Alaska owns or controls several billion dollars worth of fixed and moveable property within its eighteen departments and numerous agencies or commissions. The Department of Administration has statutory authority for directing all property transactions statewide and for maintaining accurate records of all state property.

Management of vehicles in the State Equipment Fleet is delegated to the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities. Telecommunications-related property is managed by the Information Technology Group within the Department of Administration. All other non-expendable property -- referred to as "controlled property" -- is managed by the Property Management Office (PMO), Division of General Services, Department of Administration.

This handbook, along with the State Property Control Manual and specific property accounting forms are the major tools used by the PMO to implement its management responsibility with respect to controlled property. Working through Department Property Officers and Property Custodians, the PMO staff maintains property records on the State mainframe computer, conducts an annual physical inventory, controls inter-agency property transfers, directs the disposals of excess state property and operates Alaska's Federal Surplus Property Program.

1-2. Department Property Officers

Department Property Officers implement each department's property control program and are charged by state regulation with full knowledge of all property transactions within their department. Specific responsibilities include:

  • developing policies and procedures
  • controlling and monitoring computerized property accounting files
  • providing data and technical assistance to their designated property custodians and other employees of the department
  • auditing receiving reports, property transfers, surplus property and supplies, property disposal and physical inventories
  • conducting field inventory audits

1-3. Property Custodians

Designated Property Custodians help Department Property Officers to fulfill their property management responsibilities on a day-to-day basis. The duties of a Property Custodian vary depending upon their department, but in general they include:

  • initiating transactions when controlled property is purchased, loaned, borrowed, traded or transferred
  • originating excess (surplus) property transactions
  • completing an annual inventory of all controlled property in their designated area

The PMO can assist Property Custodians to understand the specific requirements of a particular procedure, but since departments may have additional requirements above the minimums set by the PMO, Property Custodians should work through their Department Property Officers.

When surplus property is offered for sale in a location other than those regularly used by the PMO to conduct sales, the departments with property for sale will be asked to designate a Property Custodian to assist with pre-sale publicity; preparation of items for sale; assisting prospective bidders; and sale wrap-up.

1-4. Definition of Controlled Property

The rest of this handbook deals with property management as it applies to controlled property. Controlled property includes non-expendable personal property and equipment valued at more than $1,000, FOB final destination, regardless of the funding source or means of acquisition.   Note: Shipping costs are calculated only for the first destination in Alaska.  Some items, regardless of value, must be controlled. These items are listed on the "Mandatory Control List" maintained in the Property Control System.

Controlled property also includes items which are loaned, leased or rented items in the care of custody of the State, even though owned by another entity. Such items must be treated as controlled property if the value is more than $1,000 or the item is on the mandatory control list.

Items that, when installed, become an integral part of another unit of property or a building are not considered controlled property, e.g., the hard drive in a personal computer or the heating system for a building. Artwork and artifacts under the control of the State Museum are not controlled property.

1-5. Property Identification (Tags or Decals)

Most controlled property is assigned a Property Control Number, designated by a Property Tag or Decal. If a Property Control Number is assigned, it must be affixed to the item by decal or other approved method.

It is important that the decal be placed where it can be easily seen and that decal placement be uniform for ease in locating and reading the number, regardless of the property's location or placement. (If a decal is hidden, it is recommended that "dymo" tape or other suitable material be used to show the Property Control Number in a visible location.)

The assignment of Property Control Numbers is the responsibility of the Department Property Officer and questions about whether a number is issued and whether a decal should be used to mark the property should be directed to the Property Officer.

If a Property Control Number is issued, but the item is marked by any means other than decal, the decal must be destroyed. Decals for leased or rented items should be affixed with scotch tape so the tag can be moved if the item is exchanged or the lease expires. (Some leased or rented items will be controlled by serial number and no Property Control Number assigned.)

Where necessary, a Department Property Officer may direct that a Property Control Number be relocated or replaced. If a number of outdated decals have accumulated, they may be removed if removal will not deface the item. A new decal may be placed over an outdated decal. Make note of the outdated decal before you cover it. If removal of an obsolete decal would deface the item, mark the old decal to make it obvious it is no longer valid.

All weapons and some electronic and computer components are controlled by manufacturer's serial number and require no Property Control Number. All vehicles and heavy equipment are controlled by the "V" number assigned by State Equipment Fleet. When license plates are applicable, the number following the prefix is the "V" number except for certain law enforcement vehicles.

1-6. Property Control Number Decals

Decals must be ordered from Department of Administration, General Services, Forms Management, Juneau. Please contact the supply office in Juneau at 907-465-2291. A Department must maintain a decal record including:

  • Property Control Number decal in numerical sequence
  • Division to which decals are issued
  • Date of issue to Division
  • Location of property to which decals will be affixed

click here for a sample Property Control Number Decal Record

Additional information may be included in the decal record, but as a minimum, the format in the linked sample is recommended.

return to table of contents


2-1. New Property

Property management and inventory control procedures should begin when a new item is purchased. The person who maintains the inventory records needs the number of the purchasing document as well as other information. The Property Control Data Collection Form (02-623) is used by some departments to assure that all necessary information is available. The Department Property Officer is ultimately responsible for property management and inventory accuracy.

2-2. Used Property

Departments may notify the PMO of their need for surplus items. If the items are not available immediately, the their request will be entered on the "Want List" and they will be notified on a first-come, first-served basis when requested items become available. Requests for buildings and mobile units should be submitted in writing to Leasing and Facilities Management, Department of Administration.

2-3. Trade-ins

Departments may replace or upgrade equipment through a trade-in of a like item. Trade-ins are required to be approved in writing, in advance by the PMO. A trade-in will be approved only when the PMO has determined that it is in the best interests of the State.

Other agencies' needs will take priority over a trade-in request.

If the item is actually excess to the agency, the PMO may recommend a direct transfer to another agency or that the item be turned in for reissue to another agency.

State agencies must follow the appropriate procurement process established in 2 AAC 12 or the Administrative Manual based on the total estimated sales price, including trade-in credit, for the equipment to be purchased.

A proposed trade-in is initiated by memorandum from the Property Custodian, approved by the Department Property Officer. The memo must include:

  1. equipment description including Property Control and Serial Numbers
  2. equipment condition and current estimated value
  3. statement of need and significant program impacts (if any) should the trade-in be denied
  4. description of new equipment desired, including proposed method of purchase, estimated purchase price, and estimated trade-in allowance

2-4. Leased or Rented Property

Controlled property includes items which are loaned, leased or rented items in the care of custody of the State, even though owned by another entity. Information concerning the criteria for designation as controlled property and property identification are applicable to leased or rented property.

return to table of contents


3-1. Lost-Stolen-Damaged

An item which is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed must be reported by the Department Property Officer on Form 02-627, "Lost-Stolen-Damaged Property Review." In addition, the Division of Risk Management, Department of Administration, must receive written notice of the loss as soon as it is known; a completed copy of the Form 02-627 should be provided to the Division as well.

Departments have the authority to establish the degree of responsibility and liability, as well as appropriate punitive measures for negligence or misuse of state property by an employee. Employees should be advised of any liability they might incur due to their custody of state property and the procedures to follow when an item is being reported as lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.

Suspected theft of equipment or supplies should be reported immediately to the appropriate law enforcement agency. Any law enforcement report should be included with the Form 02-627.

3-2. Property Salvage/Destruction

State property which can not be repaired economically or is not marketable should be destroyed or salvaged for parts. PMO approval is required before destruction or salvage and is requested on Form 02-610, "Property Salvage/Destruction Request."

The destruction of junk items is both appropriate and necessary for effective property management and control. The PMO is not intended to serve as a dumping ground for junk items and is not able to do so. Although approval is required before property can be destroyed, the approval process is intended only to document that the destruction is authorized and appropriate.

The Department Property Officer may establish internal procedures for determining that destruction or salvage is appropriate; once those conditions have been satisfied, the From 02-610 should be submitted to the PMO.

3-3. Loaned Property

Property may be loaned to another department for a period less than six months without approval of the PMO. Property control of items which are loaned remains with the "loaning" department. (Such loans may be subject to internal approval by the appropriate Department Property Officers.)

Form 02-657, "Property Receipt" allows the Property Custodian of the "loaning" department to maintain a record of such items and is the only record acceptable to an auditor in documenting the location of items not physically present at the time of an audit. The Property Receipt may be destroyed once all items on it have been returned.

Custodians may also find this form useful in keeping track of non-controlled items loaned as well as items "issued" for field use. If an item will be on loan for six months or more, a permanent transfer must be considered.

3-4. Barters

Departments may replace equipment through a barter for equipment or services of equal value with another government entity or a non-state entity. Such transactions are reviewed on a case by case basis and are required to be approved in advance by the PMO.

Barters are not considered a typical property transaction, but they are a tool that can be used under certain circumstances if the PMO determines that the proposed barter is in the best interests of the State.

Other agencies' needs will take priority over a barter request and the PMO may recommend a direct transfer to another department or that the item be excessed for reissue to another department. Approval or denial of a barter request would occur only after taking into consideration such things as cost of shipping and the practicality of moving the equipment to another site.

A proposed barter is initiated by memorandum from the Property Custodian, approved by the Department Property Officer. The memorandum must include the following information:

  1. equipment description including Property Control and Serial Numbers
  2. equipment condition and current estimated value
  3. statement of need and significant program impacts (if any) should the barter be denied
  4. brief description and estimated value of the equipment or services the State will gain through the barter

return to table of contents


4-1. Intra-departmental Transfers

A Department Property Officer is authorized to transfer property within the Officer's own department and may establish internal procedures for documenting such transfers and updated the computerized Property Control System. Some departments use the "Inter-Departmental Property Transfer Authorization and Report," Form 02-622, in lieu of creating their own form.

4-2. Inter-departmental Transfers

Property may be transferred to another department only after approval of the PMO. The "releasing" Department Property Officer and the "receiving" Department Property Officer can approve the request on Form 02-622, "Inter-Departmental Property Transfer Authorization and Report" and forward it to the PMO. The property may not actually be moved until the transfer has been approved by the PMO. The "Want List" maintained by the PMO can be helpful to departments with excess property as well as those which need particular items.

return to table of contents


5-1. Excess Property (Surplus) Re-utilization

Property in useful or serviceable condition, but excess to actual need, must be reported on Form 02-622, "Inter-Department Transfer Authorization and Request (TAR)." Once an item is reported as excess, it cannot be further used, cannibalized or moved from its reported location without prior written approval from the Property Management Office.

Prior to surplus of electronic media, all data must be removed/deleted from systems.

  • Computers, Hard-Drives, and Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs): all programs without accompanying licenses must be deleted prior to surplus; all official/personnel files data files must be removed; if in doubt, remove it.
  • Fax machines and copiers: all headers and history files must be deleted; remove and retain paper if it is letterhead.
  • Phones & Answer machines (cell, satellite, and system): Cancel cell/satellite service; remove numbers from speed dial, caller i.d., etc.; delete greetings and messages from answer machines.
  • Bottom line—reconfigure or erase all functions, including electronic functions, of the property or equipment as necessary to prevent the property or equipment from producing indicators that the property or equipment, or a product generated by the property or equipment, is property of the state or is generated by a state agency.

The PMO compares property reported as available on TAR reports to the "Want List" it maintains on behalf of state agencies to determine whether it is in the State's best interest to transfer the excess property or to sell it. The reuse of excess property by other State Agencies is the PMO's highest priority; the PMO may recommend that the excessing department transfer property directly to another agency, rather than to the Anchorage or Juneau warehouse.

When a department is instructed to deliver property to a warehouse, a delivery appointment must be made.

Items received at the surplus warehouses in fair or better condition are placed in a reutilization section. Items in this section are available to state agencies at no cost or to non-profit organizations for fair market value. Non-profit organizations may also be able to purchase items in the reutilization area through Fixed Price, Negotiated Sale or Donation.

5-2. Hazardous Surplus

The PMO does not assume responsibility for hazardous or toxic materials, including such materials which may be part of a state building; the surplus warehouses will not accept such materials from departments. Information regarding the proper disposal of hazardous materials can be obtained from the chart below or from the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.

The PMO does not accept paint, oil, batteries, solvents, asbestos, cleaning agents, flammable materials, toxic materials or explosives.

General information on using, storing and handling hazardous material:

  • read the label!
  • buy only what you need.
  • use only the recommended amount.
  • substitute less hazardous material when possible.
  • wear proper clothing and protective gear.
  • avoid mixing products.
  • store in a safe, secure place in original containers.
  • be familiar with the Hazardous Waste Disposal Chart.


AUTOMOTIVE Waste Oil Your local landfill, transfer station, or recycling center will likely take a few gallons, or consult Yellow Pages under Oil-Waste. Do not mix with antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, etc. Antifreeze Take to hazardous waste collection site. Flush small quantities (less than 5 gallons) down drain with large quantities of water. Do not dispose of in storm drains or on ground. Keep away from animals. Batteries (Car) Take to hazardous waste collection site or recycle through retail outlets. Batteries contain lead. Battery acid can cause serious burns. Fuels Take to hazardous waste collection site. Store safely, fumes ignite. Gasoline may be the most dangerous product in your home.

PESTICIDES AND HERBICIDES Bring pesticides to hazardous waste collection site. Banned pesticides may also be returned to manufacturer or retailer Poisonous. Store safely. Do not dispose of in garbage or sewer. Avoid skin contact and breathing fumes.

PAINTS, SOLVENTS, ETC. Latex Paint: Take to hazardous waste collection site. Do not dispose of in garbage or sewers. Other Paints: Take to hazardous waste collection site. Flammable. Do not dispose of in garbage or sewer. Thinners/Preservatives/Solvents: Take to hazardous waste collection site. Flammable. Do not dispose of in garbage or sewer. Avoid skin contact and breathing fumes.

HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS Cleaners: Take to hazardous waste collection site. Avoid skin and breathing fumes. Batteries: Take to hazardous waste collection site. Corrosive and contains heavy metals. Avoid contact with contents. Medicines & Drugs: Flush small quantities of some medicines and drugs down toilet. Take larger quantities and liquids to hazardous waste collection site. Don't assume any medicine or drug is not poisonous. Store out of reach of children. Smoke Alarms: Return to manufacturer or retailer if directed on instructions or put into garbage. May contain radioactive materials. Don t break open or remove battery.

PHOTOGRAPHIC CHEMICALS Take to hazardous waste collection site. Photographic wastes can contain silver, ferrocynadie, and chromium.

ART AND HOBBY SUPPLIES Most art and hobby supplies should be taken to hazardous waste collection site. Art and hobby supplies can contain dangerous materials.

EXPLOSIVES & AMMUNITION Call your local law enforcement agency Do not attempt to handle or detonate.

ASBESTOS Call your hazardous waste collection site. Asbestos can cause cancer and should be handled only by trained personnel. There are strict requirements for packaging, transport, and disposal.

CORROSIVES Acids and Caustics: Take to hazardous waste collection site. Never add water to acids or caustics or mix with other products.

RESINS AND ADHESIVES Take to hazardous waste collection site. Flammable. Do not dispose of in garbage or sewer.

FLUORESCENT LIGHT BALLASTS Unless marked "No PCB," take to hazardous waste collection site. Do not dispose of in garbage. Call for cleanup instructions in case of spills. Avoid skin contact.

Handling information adapted from the Municipality of Anchorage hazardous waste guidelines

5-3. Mandatory Transfer

The PMO may initiate a mandatory transfer when it becomes apparent that an agency possesses items that appear to be in excess of existing needs and a need exists in another agency. A Report of Apparent Excess, prepared by the PMO, provides notice to the Department Property Officer that a mandatory transfer is being considered and offers the Property Officer who desires to retain the property an opportunity to offer information concerning the need for it.

5-4. Sales

The PMO uses five different methods to offer excess, marketable property to the general public:

  • Public Surplus (Weekly Sales) Store
  • Outcry Auctions
  • Sealed Bid Sales
  • Spot Bid Sales
  • Fixed Price Sales or Negotiated Sales

Public Surplus Store sales are conducted weekly, usually on Wednesday, at the Anchorage and Juneau warehouses. Items for sale include excess property in less than "fair" condition and items in fair or better condition which have been available for at least 30 days, but not selected for reutilization by a state agency or a non-profit organization.

Outcry auctions are scheduled twice yearly in Anchorage; once a year in Fairbanks; and as needed in Tazlina (Glennallen). Anticipated revenue must be sufficient to justify the cost of such an auction. Other auctions may be scheduled as the need arises.

Sealed bid sales are held twice yearly for items that are located in outlying areas, would be uneconomical to ship to a scheduled auction and for which no agency or non-profit interest has been found.

Spot bid sales are scheduled when numerous items have collected in one location, but anticipated revenue is not sufficient to justify an auction.

A fixed price sale is a "stand-alone" sale process conducted for a specific time which requires a reimbursement or for which the price has been fixed by % of value. A department with excess property which it knows to be of use to a non-profit organization or to another government agency may submit a Transfer Authorization Report (TAR) requesting that the property be donated to a particular recipient. A contact name and telephone number should be included. Other agencies' needs will take priority over a donation request, but in the absence of such need, the PMO will contact the recipient named by the department and attempt to negotiate a sale of the property.

5-5. Restrictions on Who Can Purchase

A state employee and family members residing with the employee are not eligible to bid on a surplus sale item if any one of the following applies:

a.  The employee is directly involved in the operation or policy making of the Department of Administration, Division of General Services, Property Management Office.

b.  The employee is directly involved at any level in the decision making process which ultimately resulted in the item(s) being sold. Under these circumstances, the employee may not make an agreement with another person to purchase the items for the employee. (The employee may bid on other items in which the employee had no part in the excessing process or decision making.)

c.  The employee is declared ineligible to bid by the employee's department, for whatever reasons the department makes such declaration. (It is the employee's responsibility to confirm his or her eligibility prior to bidding.)

Alaska's Conflict of Interest (AS 39.50) and Executive Branch Ethics (AS 39.52) laws provide guidelines which apply to an employee's eligibility to bid on a surplus sale item.

Use of Information: No employee shall use information peculiarly within his or her knowledge or purview concerning the property, government or affairs of the State to advance the financial or other private interest of the employee or others.

No employee shall engage in any business or transaction, or shall own a financial or other private interest, direct or indirect, which is in conflict with the proper discharge of the employee's official duties.

State law provides penalties for misuse by employees of confidential (insider) information for personal gain or benefit.

Custodians assigned to assist in a sale are not automatically prohibited from bidding, but must pay particular attention to the possibility of violating the guidelines discussed above or the applicable ethics laws. Whether a custodian or other employee has "insider information" must be determined on a case-by-case basis, and is best known to the individual weighing his or her particular situation.

The Department of Administration cannot confirm any employee's eligibility to bid. In the event of any investigation resulting from complaints or questions regard sale results, each bidder bears sole responsibility for his or her actions.

Under AS 39.52, a system of designated supervisors is established to provide employees with a source of assistance when they have questions about actions they contemplate which might be restricted by the ethics law.

return to table of contents


Alaska statutes require the Department of Administration to direct state agencies in the use of inventory records based on a physical inventory (AS 37.05.160). The Department has established through regulation the requirement for a physical inventory report from each state agency at the end of the fiscal year (2 AAC 12.590).

The Department Property Officer has responsibility for planning and supervising the physical inventory, consistent with the record keeping required by the PMO. The general procedure is for each Department to receive a computerized inventory print-out. Items on the current inventory must be located and the information on file verified or corrected. Information to be verified includes Property Control Number (PCN); serial number; and identifying information. Items that are found but do not appear on the list should be noted on a Property Control Data Collection Form (02-623). Lost-Stolen-Damaged reports should be prepared for any items that can not be located.

The Physical Inventory Guide contains detailed information concerning the conduct of the annual inventory.


7-1. Turn-In Procedures

The Anchorage and Juneau surplus warehouses have limited space and limited staff to handle property which is being turned-in by state agencies. Departments should make an appointment for delivering property which has been designated for the warehouse.

Faxing a copy of the "Inter-Department Transfer and Authorization Report," Form 02-622, when arranging the appointment will assure that the necessary staff and equipment is available to handle the incoming items. Departments with large amounts of material may find it necessary to make an appointment well in advance.

7-2. Confiscated Property

Property which has been unclaimed, seized or confiscated which appears to have been abandoned or lost on the premises of a state agency must be treated differently than State-owned property.

The acceptable method of disposing of unclaimed, seized or confiscated property will depend upon the state law under which it was acquired when the agency which took possession of it. A variety of laws may apply.

In most instances unclaimed, seized and confiscated property is required to be sold by public auction. Specific public notice requirements apply is some cases. With others, it may not be clear that the State has the authority to dispose of the item.

The Department of Public Safety has developed detailed evidence handling procedures for the inventory, safekeeping and control of property held in their possession.

Departments in possession of similar types of property -- other than animal hides, pelts or parts -- should use the "Inter-Departmental Property Transfer and Authorization Report (TAR)," Form 02-622, to advise the Property Management Office about the property and the statutory provisions the Department knows to be applicable. All statutory references and any court documents that authorize disposal must also be included.

The Department of Fish and Game, Game Division, has statutory authority for all hides, pelts and animal parts the State is entitled to own (AS 16.05.100 -.110). The Department determines whether such items are sold of disposed of in some other manner. Direct questions to the Game Division.

Lost and Found Property - Department of Transportation: Property left at state Department of Transportation facilities such as Marine Highway Terminals and International airports is handled with procedures outlined in section 7-2 of the Property Control Manual.

7-3. Firearms

The Department of Public Safety Supply Office in Anchorage is responsible for the final disposition of all firearms. The Supply Office will assign an individual as a Firearm Property Custodian. The Supply Office will take custody of all firearms from evidence custodians, investigative officers, and other state agencies. This can include firearms for the Dept. of Transportation, Dept. of Fish & Game, Dept. of Corrections, Airport Safety, Dept. of Natural Resources, etc. An Inter-departmental Transfer (TAR) identifying the firearm serial number and other identifying information must accompany all firearms received from non-DPS employees. The Firearm Property Custodian will verify the accuracy of the serial number before accepting the firearm. After the firearm is received, it will be stored in a secure area pending audit and physical inspection. The audit will indicate the weapons safety status, collectability and legality. Based on the audit findings, firearms will be scheduled for destruction, storage, or transfer to the PMO. Handguns not selected for destruction will be properly tagged and secured for long term storage. Long barreled rifles and shotguns may be transferred to the PMO and considered for competitive sale to qualified licensed firearm dealers.

7-4. Disposal of Excess Buildings

Buildings may be transferred within a department upon approval of the Department Commissioner. Disposal of excess buildings rests with the Department of Administration. An excess building remains the responsibility of the excessing department until disposal is complete or the building is transferred to another state agency. State executive branch needs for an excess building will take priority over any sale. An excess building is reported to the Leasing and Facilities Section, Division of General Services and Supply on Form 02-656, "Notice of Excess Building."

Additional information about excess buildings can be found in the State Property Control Manual. Questions should be directed to the PMO.

return to table of contents


The Department of Administration, Division of Information Services is responsible for the inventory and management of communications equipment. All Lost-Stolen-Damaged reports (Form 02-627) and Inter-agency Transfers (Form 02-622) must be submitted to Information Services for approval before being submitted to the PMO.

Information Services also coordinates the physical inventory of communication equipment and the excessing (surplus) process including damage reports and cannibalization requests.

Additional information about communications equipment can be found in the State Property Control Manual. Questions should be directed to the Division of Information Services.


The Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, State Equipment Fleet (SEF), is responsible for the management of official use vehicles. SEF maintains the central vehicle computer file, the central title file, and issues State license plates.

SEF also coordinates the physical inventory of vehicles and the excessing (surplus) process including damage reports and cannibalization requests. Official use vehicles include all state owned:

  • on and off highway vehicles
  • heavy construction equipment and attachments
  • trailers
  • other tow-type units.

Additional information about official use vehicles can be found in the State Property Control Manual and the SEF Policy and Procedures Manual. Questions should be directed to the Statewide Equipment Fleet.

return to table of contents


The seven property management forms are described in this section with instructions. The first four are used extensively by the PMO and must be used by departments. Use of the other three forms is discretionary with departments.

Mandatory-use Forms:

"TAR" - Inter-departmental Property Transfer Authorization and Report - Form 02-622
Used for excessing and transferring property between departments (except buildings)

View: completed form instructions

"LSD" - Lost-Stolen-Damaged Property Review - Form 02-627
Used to report lost or stolen property and damage or destruction caused by accident or vandalism

View: completed form  -  instructions

"PSD" - Property Salvage/Destruction Request - Form 02-610
Request approval for the salvage or destruction of property which has no further useful life.

View: completed form  -  instructions

Notice of Excess Building - Form 02-656
Used to report excess buildings

View: completed form  -  instructions

Discretionary-use Forms:

Receiving Report and Property Control Data Collection Form - Form 02-623
Used by departments to record property transactions

View: completed form  -  instructions

Property Receipt (See Section 3-3) - Form 02-657
Documents temporary property loans between agencies; used by some agencies
to record property issued to seasonal or permanent personnel

View: completed form  -  instructions

Controlled Property Inventory Form - Form 02-658
Used by departments to collect inventory data and
as a Property Custodian's field record of inventory responsibility

View: completed form  -  instructions

Note: The use of electronic forms is permitted providing no changes are made to content of mandatory use forms. Contact the PMO to obtain form-numbering format for forms with controlled numbers.

return to table of contents



State agencies and other qualified entities can take advantage of the cost savings to be found through the re-use of federal property that is no longer needed by the federal government. The PMO manages all federal surplus property transactions in Alaska.

11-1. Overview

The PMO administers a self-supporting Federal Surplus Property Donation program in accordance with Public Law 94-519 and the Alaska State Plan of Operations. In Alaska, surplus military supplies and equipment include office equipment, institutional supplies, heavy equipment, vehicles and aircraft. Surplus federal property within Alaska and from areas worldwide is available to you through the PMO, which is the only Alaska agency authorized by the U.S. General Services Administration to handle such transfers. Your ability to acquire federal property is possible because the PMO maintains agreements to operate the Alaska Federal Surplus Property Program in compliance with federal law and a State Plan of Operation.

PMO's responsibilities under those agreements include marketing to increase participation; training to help you locate and obtain property; and monitoring to assure your use complies with federal regulations. As part of its duties with respect to federal surplus, the PMO screens, receives and re-issues the property for a nominal service fee. Transfers may be to state agencies; local governments; political subdivisions; and certain eligible non-profit organizations.

If you know of a qualified entity with a need for federal surplus property, please encourage the organization to request an application form. If your agency needs particular items, please let the PMO know so we may include your request on the "Want List."

11-2. Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Federal Property Assistance Program?

The Federal Property Assistance Program is a program that acquires, warehouses, and distributes surplus federal property to state, local government agencies and non-profit health and educational organizations. The Program saves taxpayer dollars by enabling public sector and non-profit agencies to purchase federal government equipment, vehicles, and supplies for nominal fees.

Congress created the Federal Property Assistance Program in 1949 with the enactment of Public Law 94-519. The law enabled personal property items to be donated to agencies that meet eligibility criteria. Property items are serviceable goods, materials and equipment that the federal government has determined it no longer needs. Some notable examples are heavy equipment, vehicles, construction materials, and office equipment. As part of the Act, state governments are delegated the responsibility for administrating this program through their individual state's "Plan of Operation".

Over the years, organizations that qualify for this program have expanded from governmental agencies to medical institutions, day care centers, and homeless shelters. The State of Alaska is pleased to be a part of this valuable service that enables us to receive, warehouse and distribute surplus property to qualifying organizations.

Who is eligible?

Eligibility may be granted to any governmental entity or public agency that is established by or pursuant to state law, including education, health and public service organizations.

Also, certain non-profit, tax-exempt health or educational organization, including medical institutions, hospitals, clinics, health centers, schools, colleges, universities, schools for the mentally retarded or disabled, child care centers, and programs for the elderly and homeless that are funded or authorized by specific federal legislation. Other non-profit, tax-exempt organizations may also be eligible. Where does the property come from? Representatives of our state agency visit US Government installations to select property that is available for donation. Most of our property comes from military bases and federal offices located in Alaska.

What property is available and how do we find out about it?

Personal property that may be available includes hand and machine tools, office machines and supplies, furniture, hardware, motor vehicles, boats, airplanes, construction equipment, electrical and electronic equipment and many other items.

Unfortunately, property is moving in and out of our warehouse every day so it is difficult to publish a current listing of available property. Participating organizations are welcome and encouraged to visit our warehouse often. We encourage the use of the WANT LIST so we can search for available property that meets your needs. Another way we notify agencies is by Special Notice. Special Notices are used to inform participants of property that is available outside the normal avenues. Notices are sent to agencies that are in the same geography region as the property and to those agencies that have expressed an interest in property of the type available.

Screener's cards are available to enable participants to screen property for themselves. Persons holding a screener's card may go directly to the Federal agency and inspect property. This may be especially advantageous to participants outside the Anchorage area where Federal facilities exist.

Are there any costs associated with this program?

Yes. Service and handling charges are placed on all property that is distributed by this agency. The fees are based on total expenses in acquiring, transporting, warehousing and transferring the property, but are equalized by fair value and other contributing factors. Fees average about 10% of the item's original acquisition cost.

Are there any restrictions on the use of federal surplus property?

  • US Federal property cannot be sold, loaned, traded, or torn down for parts during the restricted minimum use period without our prior permission
  • Property must be placed into use within 12 months from the date of acquisition
  • Property must be used for a minimum of 12 month from the date it is placed into use
  • Property valued new at $5,000 or more must be used for a minimum 18-month period. Aircraft and boats have an extended restriction period of 60 months or more
  • Federal equipment and supplies are restricted to organizational use, not personal use
  • Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may require payment to Federal Government for the value of the property

return to table of contents

End of Property Control Handbook