School Bus Endorsement
Anyone who drives a school bus to and from a public school must have a school bus endorsement to do so. This endorsement allows you to drive a school bus or a bus transporting children from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events.
To drive a bus designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver you must have a CDL with a passenger endorsement "P" and a School Bus "S" endorsement. You can drive a bus designed to transport less than 16 passengers including the driver without obtaining a CDL.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must have at least three years of driving experience
- Not eligible for a school bus license, if you have been:
- convicted of driving while under the influence
- convicted of certain offenses, see School Bus Disqualification List (pdf)
Please note: A background check will be conducted by the Alaska Department of Public Safety and a national criminal history background check will be conducted by the FBI
How do I get the school bus endorsement for my CDL?
When you are getting your first commercial driver's license or transfering a commercial driver's license, please plan for the following:
- Surrender your previous license:
- A valid Alaska CDL
- A valid Out-of-State CDL with S endorsement
- Application for CDL (Form 415)
- Commercial Driver Medical & Self Certifying Verification (Form 413)
- School bus endorsement application (Form 412)
- Medical Card
- Fingerprint card
- $47.00 check - Payable to "State of Alaska"
- Original certificate for completion of a Department of Education (DOE) approved school bus training course
- Vision test
- General Knowledge (or valid CDL Permit or CDL)
- Passenger knowledge test (or valid CDL with passenger endorsement)
- School bus knowledge (written) test
- Performance (road skills) test
- Air Brakes knowledge test (or valid CDL without air brakes restriction “L”).
Please Note: The road test vehicle must be representative of the vehicle you will drive. If the road test vehicle does not have air brakes, you will remain restricted to vehicles without air brakes.
How do I renew my school bus endorsement?
Please follow the regular license renewal process; however, you must also provide the following: