State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  College Student ~ Renewing an Alaska License or ID Card                                             


College Student ~ Renewing an Alaska License or ID Card

As an Alaska resident attending college outside of Alaska, you are welcome to renew your driver license or state identification card (ID) through the mail.  Your license or ID card expires 90 days after your 21st birthday.  If you will not be in Alaska between your 21st birthday and the expiration date shown on your Alaska driver license and/or ID card, please follow the instructions below to renew.

Alaska does not have a grace period after a license expires. Once your license is expired, it is not legal for you to drive. If you allow your license to expire over a year, you must pass the written test again in order to renew your license. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  If you have obtained a license in another state after your last Alaska license was issued, you must pass an Alaska general rules of the road knowledge test to renew. You must renew your license in person when you return to Alaska.  Your Alaska license number will remain the same.


Passing an Alcohol & Drug Awareness Test is a requirement to renew a license after turning 21 years of age.  You may wish to take the test before leaving the state to ensure you have the option to renew your license online or by mail. You should review the Alaska Driver Manual prior to taking the test and the test can be taken at any Alaska DMV office.


You are welcome to apply to renew your license or identification card after your 21st birthday.  Your issued card expires 90 days after your 21st birthday to allow you time to renew your driver license.

If you are out-of-state and have not taken the Alcohol Awareness Test your driver license cannot be renewed until you return to Alaska and take the Alcohol & Drug Awareness Test.  You may be eligible for a license extension to carry with your expired license to allow you up to 1 year to return to Alaska and take the test.  The application for an extension is available at License Extension.  The license extension fee is $5.00 and the form can be mailed or faxed to the Juneau Drive Services Office.


  • If your name has changed since your last license was issued, you must provide proof of the legal changing of your name and of updating your information with the Social Security Administration.  Original documents are required as well as the issued license that you wish to change.  Your name can be changed with a marriage certificate, divorce decree or other court name change document(s); once your name has been changed it takes a new name changing document to return to a prior legal name.
  • If any other identifying information is incorrect you must provide proof of the correct information such as an original birth certificate and return your current license.
  • Prior to issuance of a license or identification card; your name, date of birth and social security number will be verified using Social Security On-Line Verification (SSOLV).  Any discrepancies must be resolved before you can be issued a license or identification card.


If you are not able to come to a division office or are unable to apply online or need to change your name or other identification information you may be able to renew or obtain a duplicate card by mail with a paper application.  You will need to contact the Juneau Driver Services office at (907) 465-4361 ext. #2 or email to see what options may be available to you.  To renew by mail will require submission of two pieces of identification, a $21.00 renewal fee or $15.00 for a duplicate, and completion of an application form.  There may be additional requirements based on your individual situation.  You must have taken the Alcohol & Drug Awareness test to be able to renew your license.


Your new driver license or identification card will come to you in two stages.  Initially you will receive a temporary card which is valid for 60 days.  The actual driver license will be mailed to you and you should receive it in approximately 2-6 weeks. 

The issued license or card will be sent to the mailing address you provide on your application.  Be sure that the mailing address you provide is a deliverable address, even if it is out-of-state. The mailed license will not be forwarded by the Post Office.  You may track the progress of your card at: Track My Card.  Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information regarding the centralized issuance process.

Please contact our Juneau Driver Services office for assistance with further questions.

By phone:      (907) 465-4361, ext. 2


State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
Juneau Driver Services
PO Box 110221
Juneau, AK 99811-0221


REV. 03/20/2015