Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Driver License > Duplicate and Temporary Alaska Driver License

Duplicate & Temporary Alaska Driver License

Help! I lost my license. What do I do?

To obtain a duplicate Alaska driver license, you must apply in person at your local DMV office and:

  • Fill out form 478
  • Provide two pieces of identification (see primary and secondary documents)
  • Pass a vision test
  • Have a new photo taken
  • Pay a duplication fee:
    • for non-commercial driver license $20
    • for commercial driver license $100

I’m out of state and can’t go to the DMV. What do I do?

If you are an Alaska resident, have lost your license, and are temporarily out of state, you may apply for a temporary license.  

Non-commercial temporary licenses are valid for one year from the expiration date of your current license.

Temporary licenses do not have a photo so be prepared for additional screening if using it as identification for travel.