State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Reinstate After Medical Cancellation                                             


Reinstate After Medical Cancellation

How to Reinstate your Driving Privileges after you
have been Canceled for Medical Reasons

When you lose your privilege to drive in Alaska for Medical Reasons, the state cancels  your license or privilege to drive.  Your driving record will show that the state has taken some kind of action against your license.  When you take the steps needed to get your license back, you are reinstating your driver's license or privilege to drive.

To get your license back following the loss of your driving privileges, you need to apply for a new license at a Division of Motor Vehicles office and meet the following requirements.

1. Pass the written and vision tests. You may need a road test as well.

2. Pay the license fee.

3. Present proof of birth and identity. See original license requirements for acceptable documents.

4.  A notarized Parental Consent form if you are under 18
(Required when your parent or guardian will not be accompanying you to the DMV)

5.  A letter signed by your doctor stating that the medical reason for why your license was canceled is under control or you no longer have that medical problem. It will also need to say that you can safely drive. Before you go to DMV, it is best to contact Driver Licensing in Juneau to make sure you have the things you will need to bring.

6.  Sometimes, you need to take care of other problems before you are able to get your license back. When there are other problems with your license, a Division of Motor Vehicles employee will tell you what you need to do so that you can get your license back.If you have any other questions you can call, write or visit a Division of Motor Vehicles office.

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W. Benson Blvd, Suite 100
Anchorage, AK 99503-3689
(907) 269-3770