State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Name Change                                             


Changing Information on

Driver License, Permit or State ID Card

You will also need the following to receive your Alaska driver license, permit or state identification card:

  • You must complete a Form 478 for an Alaska driver license, permit or state identification card or a Form 415 for a CDL
  • You will be required to pass a vision test
  • Pay the current license fee.
  • Additional Documentation noted in the below sections


In order to change your name on your Alaska driver license, permit or state identification card, you must submit proof of the change (in person) to DMV.

If there have been multiple name changes, you must provide documentation to prove the continuity of the names. Example : The name on the primary document differs from your current name you must provide additional documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption files) to show a link to your current name.

Submitted documents must be an original certified copy. Photocopies and fax copies are not acceptable.

The following items are acceptable to use for a name change:

  • Marriage Certificate (Must be from Vital Statistics)
  • Certificate of Dissolution, Divorce or Annulment (Issued by the Court System). This document must specifically state the new legal name.
  • Court Order
  • U.S. Passport (Must be current)
  • Amended birth certificate
  • Certified adoption papers, marriage certificate, court order or divorce decree
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Name Change

By law, you are required to notify the DMV of a name or address change within 30 days of the change (AS 28.05.071)


ADDRESS: (2 AAC 90.480)
When you move or change your mailing address, please provide a written change of address request to the Division of Motor Vehicles.  For a change of address on a vehicle record, you may be able to use our online change of address system to update the address on each vehicle.

Please be aware that you must provide the information for ALL vehicles and driver license's that you wish to have the information updated on, as your files are not linked.
Following is a form to make the request easy for you:   Address Change Form

If you are unable to pull up the form and print it, you may send a letter requesting the change.  Be sure to include the following:

  • License plate number(s) and last two digits of the serial number for ALL vehicles you own.  (Boat, trailer, ATV, snowmachine, passenger vehicle and truck/van)  Be sure to print clearly. 
  • To change information on your driver license, please provide your driver license number and printed name.
  • Your signature must be on the request in order for it to be processed. 
  • Mail or deliver the change of address to any DMV.

You will not receive notification that the change has been made. 
For your records, you may do the following: 

Vehicles - Please cross out the previous address on your registration and write the correct address in the space provided.

Driver License - If you wish to have a new license showing your current address, you must apply for a duplicate license.  Please see Fees for the current fees.

If a person claims that the SSN on the DMV records is incorrect, the person must bring in their Social Security Card or documentation from the IRS displaying the applicant's name and Social Security number.


For more information on changing your license number contact Juneau Driver Services at (907)465-4361.


DATE OF BIRTH: (2 AAC 90.480)
The applicant must present one of the acceptable primary identification documents for proof of date of birth (D-20).

    • An original or certified copy of a U.S. Birth Certificate (From Vital Statistics)
    • U.S. passport or Canadian passport (must be current)
    • U.S. passport card, Issued by Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
    • An Alaska learner’s permit, driver license or State Identification card.
    • U.S. Military Identification for active duty, retiree or reservist
    • Court order that contains the full name, date of birth and court seal. (Example: Adoption, name change or gender change document. It does NOT include an abstract of criminal or civil conviction.)
    • Certificate of Citizenship
    • Certificate of Naturalization   
    • U.S. Government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Passport issued from another country, with appropriate immigration documents.
    • I-551 – Residence Alien Card issued since 1997. For cards issued prior to 1997, security features should be checked against ID Guide. I-688A or B – Employment Authorization
    • I-766 – Employment Authorization
    • SEVIS I-20 Form (Signed by school in Alaska) with expired foreign passport and visa.


Only Form 478 (Application for Alaska Driver License, Permit or Identification Card) will be required to change an applicant’s weight, height, hair color and/or eye color.


SEX: (2 AAC 90.480)
In accordance with 2 AAC 90.480 to change the applicant’s sex designation, Form 427 (Certification for Change of Sex) section A must be completed along with Form 478 (Application for Alaska Driver License, Permit or Identification Card) or Form 415 (Application for Commercial Driver License (CDL))

We will accept the following documents to change the sex designation on the driver license or identification card in lieu of section B and C of the medical certification being completed by an authorized medical provider:

  • US Birth Certificate stating the sex designation that applicant wants to amend on DL or ID 
  • Valid US Passport
  • Court Order issued in by a court in the United States granting change of sex or gender

NOTE: The above referenced documents are the only acceptable documents because they require the applicant to provide similar medical certification that DMV requires to modify the sex designation on a driver license or identification card under 2 AAC 90.480.  

If one of the above documents is not provided, a fully completed Form 427 (Certification for Change of Sex) (sections A, B and C)  will be required in addition to Form 478 (Application for Alaska Driver License, Permit or Identification Card) or Form 415 (Application for Commercial Driver License (CDL)). Form 427 must be completed and certified by one of the following:

  • physician in medicine or osteopathy;
  • social worker;
  • psychologist;
  • professional counselor;
  • physician assistant; or
  • advanced nurse practitioner.

Signature by the medical provider must be an original; it cannot be a stamped or electronic format.

For questions regarding the application or certification requirements contact Anchorage Driver Services 269-3770.


Rev 08/17/2012