Changing Identification Details
To change your identification details, such as your name, address, social security number, license number, date of birth, height, weight, hair color, or sex, you will need the following:
- Submit application form
- Application for Driver License, Permit or State Identification Card (Form 478)
- Pass a vision test
- Pay the current license fee
- Provide additional documentation as noted below:
In order to change your name on your Alaska driver license, permit or state identification card, you must submit proof of the change (in person) to us.
If there have been multiple name changes, you must provide documentation to prove the continuity of the names. For example, if the name on your primary document differs from your current name, you must provide additional documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption files) to show a link to your current name.
Submitted documents must be an original certified copy. Photocopies and fax copies are not acceptable.
The following items are acceptable to use for a name change:
- Marriage Certificate (Must be from Vital Statistics)
- Certificate of Dissolution, Divorce or Annulment (Issued by the Court System). This document must specifically state the new legal name.
- Court Order
- U.S. Passport (Must be current)
- Amended birth certificate
- Certified adoption papers, marriage certificate, court order or divorce decree
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Name Change
Please Note: By law, you are required to notify us of a name or address change within 30 days of the change (AS 28.05.071)
When you move or change your mailing address, please provide a written change of address request to us.
You may be able to use our online change of address system to update the address on each vehicle.
You may mail us the Address Change Form (Form 401)
You may send a letter requesting the change. Be sure to include the following:
- License plate number(s) and last two digits of the serial number for ALL vehicles you own. (Boat, trailer, ATV, snowmachine, passenger vehicle and truck/van)
- To change information on your driver license, please provide your driver license number and printed name.
- Your signature must be on the request in order for it to be processed.
- Mail or deliver the change of address to any DMV.
Please note: You will not receive notification that the change has been made. For your records, you may do the following:
- Please cross out the previous address on your registration and write the correct address in the space provided.
- Driver License
- If you wish to have a new license showing your current address, you must apply for a duplicate license
Social Security Number (SSN)
If your SSN on your DMV records is incorrect, you must provide your Social Security Card or documentation from the IRS displaying your name and Social Security number. Please bring these to your local DMV office
For more information on changing your license number contact Juneau Driver Services at (907)465-4361.
Date of Birth
If your birth date on your DMV records is incorrect, you must present one of the acceptable primary identification documents as proof of your date of birth:
- An original or certified copy of a U.S. Birth Certificate (From Vital Statistics)
- U.S. passport or Canadian passport (must be current)
- U.S. passport card, Issued by Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- An Alaska learner’s permit, driver license or State Identification card
- U.S. Military Identification for active duty, retiree or reservist
- Court order that contains the full name, date of birth and court seal. (Example: Adoption, name change or gender change document. It does NOT include an abstract of criminal or civil conviction.)
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization
- U.S. Government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Passport issued from another country, with appropriate immigration documents.
- I-551 – Residence Alien Card issued since 1997. For cards issued prior to 1997, security features should be checked against ID Guide. I-688A or B – Employment Authorization
- I-766 – Employment Authorization
- SEVIS I-20 Form (Signed by school in Alaska) with expired foreign passport and visa.
To change your height, weight, hair color, and eye color, you only need to submit an application form.
To change your sex on your driver's license or ID card, please also submit Certification for Change of Sex (Form 427).
This form must be completed and certified by one of the following:
- physician in medicine or osteopathy;
- social worker;
- professional counselor;
- physician assistant; or
- advanced nurse practitioner.
For questions regarding the application or certification requirements contact Anchorage Driver Services 269-3770.