Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Driver License >  Transfer a License

Transfer a License
from another State, US Territory, or Country

You are welcome to drive in Alaska if you are at least 16 years old and have a valid driver license from another state, US Territory, or country.

If you will be driving in Alaska for more than 90 days, you must get an Alaska driver license.

If you are a commercial driver license (CDL) holder, your license is still valid.  However, once you become a resident of Alaska, you are required to obtain an Alaska CDL within 30 days.

How do I get my Alaska license?

You can apply for an Alaska license at any DMV office, and you must:

  • Surrender your out-of-state driver license
  • Pass a written knowledge test
  • Pass an alcohol and drug awareness test when you reach the age of 21.
  • Pass a vision test
  • Provide proof of legal name, date of birth, current residence address, and social security number

If your license is from a Country other than Canada or US Territory you must also:

  • Pass a road test
  • Pay  $15 for your road test

Please see Your First Alaska Driver License for more information about these requirements.