State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Reinstate from Default on Promissory Note                                              


Reinstate from Default on Promissory Note

When you lose your privilege to drive in Alaska for defaulting on a promissory note, the state suspends your license or privilege to drive.  Your driving record will show that the state has taken some kind of action against your license.  When you take the steps needed to get your license back, you are reinstating your driver's license or privilege to drive.

Default means that you have not made the payments you agreed to make  for damages you caused in a collision.

To get your license back following the loss of your driving privileges, you need to apply for a new license at a Division of Motor Vehicles office and meet the following requirements.

  1. Pass the written and vision tests. You may need a road test as well.
  2. Pay the reinstatement and license fees.
  3. Present proof of birth and identity. See original license requirements for acceptable documents.
  4. A notarized Parent Consent form if you are under 18
    (Required when your parent or guardian will not be accompanying you to the DMV.)
  5. Show proof that you have paid all the money owed that you agreed to pay on the promissory note. This is called a general release. It has to be signed by the person or company you said you would pay and it must be notarized. If you don't know who you have to pay or cannot find them, you can call Juneau Driver Services, Financial Responsibility Desk at the number shown below and ask them for the information.
  6. Sometimes, you need to take care of other problems before you are able to get your license back. When there are other problems with your license, a Division of Motor Vehicles employee will tell you what you need to do so that you can get your license back. If you have any other questions you can call, write or visit a Division of Motor Vehicles office.

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 110221
Juneau AK 99811-0221
(907) 465-4361