State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Military - Recording / Releasing a Lien                                             


Military - Recording / Releasing a Lien

Recording or Releasing a Lienholder - Military Procedures Recording a Lien

A lender may be recorded as a lienholder on a vehicle title. This may be mailed to DMV, provided there are no changes to the name field.   Requests with a name change (Adding an owner, deleting an owner or other change to the name.) will be returned unprocessed.   Please send the following:

  • Application for Title & Registration (enter the lienholder's name and address in section 5)
  • Original title
  • Fees: 
    • $15.00 to record the lien
    • $15.00 title fee for a vehicle/trailer
    • $100.00 title fee for a manufactured home.

The registered owner of the vehicle must sign the application before it will be accepted. A Power of Attorney is acceptable for someone other than the registered owner signing the application and title. A title with a recorded lien will automatically be mailed to the lienholder. 

Alaska law permits only the recording of the primary lienholder's name on the title. Secondary lienholders may record their liens in a district recorder's office in their area of residence. This type of filing is called a Uniform Commercial Code or UCC filing.

Releasing a Lien

When you make the final payment on your vehicle, the lienholder will release their interest in the vehicle and give the original title to you.  Once you receive the title, you would need to apply for a "clear" title with the Division of Motor Vehicles.   In order to obtain a new title, you will need the following items;

  • Original title with the lien released or a separate letter from the lienholder releasing their interest.  The lien release must have a date, signature and title of the person releasing the lien.  A "PAID" stamp is not an acceptable lien release.
  • Vehicle Transaction Application (Last title issued was an ALASKA title.)
  • Application for Title & Registration (Last title issued was NOT and Alaska title.)
  • Copy of current registration, if available.
  • Fees in the amount of $15.00
    (Additional fees if the vehicle registration is expired)

If your title becomes lost, you must obtain a lien release from the financial institution prior to obtaining a clear title.

Mail requests to:

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles

1300 W Benson Boulevard STE 200
Anchorage AK  99503-3600

Note: Title work mailed may take 6 to 8 weeks to process.

REV. 05/31/2013