Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Plates >  Amateur Radio

Amateur Radio

Special license plates are available for use on vehicles containing mobile radios, and whose registered owners hold valid Federal Communications Commission (FCC) amateur radio operator's licenses.

You or your organization may request one set of amateur radio plates for each radio license issued to you by the federal government.

How do I get an Amateur Radio License Plate?

Original amateur radio plates may be applied for at any DMV office and are issued through the Anchorage Field Office. If you have any questions contact the Anchorage field office at:

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Amateur Radio
1300 W Benson Boulevard STE 300
Anchorage AK 99503-3600
Phone #: (907) 269-5551

Please submit the following:

Please Note: If you are unable to certify that your vehicle is equipped with an antenna, a power supply and wiring that are a permanent part of the vehicle as outlined in AS 28.10.421 (d) (8) (A) & (B) there will be a registration fee as normal for your vehicle.

Please Note: Full registration fees are required for commercial vehicles.

How do I renew my amateur radio plates?

Due to the paperwork requirements, this type of plate cannot be renewed online; however, you can renew through the mail to the above address or at your local DMV Office.

A copy of your FCC license and the renewal notice you receive in the mail or a new Application for Title and Registration (Form 812) are required.

Can I transfer my amateur radio plates to a different vehicle?

Yes, transfers may also be processed at any field office.

May I permanently register my vehicle if I have amateur radio plates?

If you live in an unorganized borough or an organized borough that passes an ordinance to participate, you may be eligible for permanent registration for your noncommercial trailer or 8 year-old (model year 2007) or older vehicle beginning January 2015. However due to the FCC licensing requirements you cannot be issued a permanent "Z" tab. You will be issued a biannual tab upon presentation of your current FCC license. Original application for this exemption must be done in person at your local DMV. Renewal may be done by mail or in person and the walk-in fee will be waved.