Skip to content
Back to Top
Photo: Kerry Howard

Boat Registration

What’s New?

Attention boat owners! Changes to Alaska boat ownership and registration laws initiated by SB 92, the Derelict Vessels Act, took effect January 1, 2019.

Here’s what you need to know:

New Registration requirements - AS 05.25.055

  • Alaska Statute 05.25.055 was amended to require all boats not specifically exempted, including documented boats, barges, sport fishing guide boats, and tenders to be registered with the State of Alaska.

New Title requirements - AS 05.25.056

  • New Alaska Statute 05.25.056 requires the owner of an undocumented boat that is subject to registration and that is more than 24 feet to apply for a certificate of title or “No Title Issued (NTI)” registration.
  • Due to the new titling requirement online renewal is not available for boats more than 24 feet - application must be made in-person.
  • Titling of an undocumented boat less than 24 feet in length is optional.

Must be disclosed and included on the title

  • Like motor vehicles, boat owners are now required to disclose lien and security interest details on the application or demonstrate satisfaction of the lien before receiving the title.
  • All boat titles with an active lien will be sent to the lienholder.
  • The owner will receive the registration containing the lienholder name.

From registration to ownership

  • Recognizing that Alaskan boat owners have not historically been required to prove boat ownership when registering at DMV, a tiered system exists to help qualifying boat owners’ transition towards obtaining a boat title in addition to registration, depending on the owner’s documents.
  • If ownership cannot be established a boat title cannot be issued, and the boat registration must be marked “No Title Issued (NTI)”.
  • If after three years the “No Title Issued” registration remains uncontested and there is no undisclosed security interest in the boat, a certificate of title may be issued.

Forms and Fees:


  • $24 for powered boats
    • Note: If power source is removed the owner may wait until renewal to change to a non-power class
  • $10 for non-powered boats
    • Note: If auxiliary power is added the power boat class registration & fees apply immediately
  • $75.00 for barge registration
  • $5 for replacement of registration and/or lost decals
  • $20 for a boat title or duplicate boat title
  • There is no additional charge to record a lien


What documents are required?

Documents accepted to prove boat ownership to obtain a title and registration:
  • The original manufacturer’s certificate of origin (MCO)
  • The original manufacturer’s statement of origin (MSO)
  • The boat title and registration from the previous state of ownership
  • Completed CG-1261 Builders Certification
Documents accepted for registration only* include:
  • Any of the documents listed in the ownership section, above
  • A copy of the current Certificate of Documentation issued by the U.S. Coast Guard
  • The boat registration from the previous state of ownership, when the owner does not have the title because:
    • the previous state does not issue boat titles
    • the boat has an active lien
    • the previous state title or MCO/MSO is lost or destroyed
  • A bill of sale from a boat dealer or the previous owner
  • An affidavit of ownership (found on the boat application)
When registration only applies:
  • A boat title will not be issued, when the registration is marked “No Title Issued" (NTI)
    • The boat is documented with the U.S. Coast Guard (exempt from titling)
    • The boat is undocumented and 24 feet or less in length (titling optional)
    • Ownership documents cannot be presented
      • If ownership cannot be established a boat title cannot be issued, and the boat registration must be marked “No Title Issued (NTI)”.
      • If after three years the “No Title Issued” registration remains uncontested and there is no undisclosed security interest in the boat, a certificate of title may be issued.

    Registering or titling

    How do I register or title my boat?
  • Please bring the following to your local DMV Office:
    • Boat Application (Form B1)
    • Proof of ownership/registration
    • Fees
    How do I replace a lost registration or boat tabs?
  • If information has changed since the last registration:
    • Boat Application (Form B1)
    • $5.00 Fee
    • Mail to the DMV main office

      • Attn: Correspondence
        3901 Old Seward Highway, Suite 101
        Anchorage, AK 99503
  • If no changes since the last registration:

  • Definitions:

    • means a watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water
    • means a boat that is
      • motorized or nonmotorized
      • designed to be towed; and
      • used for carrying freight
    "Undocumented Boat"
    • means a boat that does not possess a valid certificate of documentation issued by the U.S. Coast Guard under 46 U.S.C. 12101 - 12123


    Exempt from registering in Alaska
  • The following do not need to be registered:
    • Non-boats
      The following are not considered boats and are not required to be registered:
      • a ship’s lifeboat
      • a seaplane
      • an inspected passenger vessel; and
      • single air mattress, single inner tube, or other water toy
    • Non-powered boats
      Unless a boat has an auxiliary power unit or is used as a sport fishing guide’s boat, non-powered boats are not required to be registered.
    • Registered elsewhere
      A boat with a valid registration from another state or country that is not operated more than 90 consecutive days in Alaska.
    • Owned by a government
      A boat owned by the United States or an entity or political subdivision of the United States, or a boat owned by a state or an entity or political subdivision of a state. PLEASE NOTE: Under FEDERAL law, recreational type public vessels must still be state registered. [33 CFR Subpart B Sec. 173.11(b)]
    • A foreign documented boat
  • PLEASE NOTE: Boats that are not principally used in Alaska must be registered in the state where they are used. Alaska residents, such as military members or college students that live outside of the state cannot register their boats in Alaska. This is required by federal law and there is no exemption for any group.
  • Exempt from titling in Alaska
  • The following boats do not need to be titled:
    • An undocumented boat 24 feet or less in length
    • A boat of any length documented with the U.S. Coast Guard
    • Note: A documented boat is also exempt from state numbering, however, the State of Alaska registration decal must be displayed.

    General Information

    • On January 1st, 2001, the Division of Motor Vehicles assumed the boat registration program from the U.S. Coast Guard. House Bill 108, passed in the 2000 legislative session, authorized this registration program and a comprehensive boating safety program.
    • Prior to January 1st, 2001, the Coast Guard has registered powered boats that are used on navigable waterways of the state. When the USCG issued registration expires, boat owners must renew the registration with us.
    • Prior to June 4th, 2004, non-powered boats 10 feet or greater in length used on any water of the state were required to be registered. These boats are no longer required to be registered; however, you may register a non-powered boat if you wish to.
    Revised: 9/13/2021 09:30