State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Registration Renewal - Attending College - Out of AK                                             


Registration Renewal - Attending College - Out of AK

As long as you are a full-time student attending college outside of Alaska and remain a resident of Alaska, you may continue to renew your vehicle registration in Alaska.  (Use your mailing and residence address where you are attending college.)  If you change your legal residence, obtain employment or become a part-time student, you must change your vehicle registration to the state you are living in.

CAUTION:  USE THESE PROCEDURES ONLY IF YOUR NAME IS SHOWN ON THE ORIGINAL ALASKA VEHICLE TITLE.  If the vehicle is titled in the name of your mother and/or father, you would need to use the same procedures as a person outside of Alaska on vacation.

Your address must be correct on DMV records in order to renew over the Internet.  If your address is incorrect or you are unsure, please use option #2. to renew.  (NOTE:  If your registration is expired or due to expire within 30 days, please check with the webmaster for procedures.  Please provide your current mailing and residence address, along with the license plate number of the vehicle you wish to renew.

Renewal Options:

If you use option #1, you must have a MasterCard or VISA (credit card - not debit card) and your ADDRESS MUST BE CORRECT).   Your registration and tab will be mailed within two business days from successful renewal.  Please E-mail ALASKA DMV if you do not receive the items within 14 days.

1)  Internet (

a. You need to have cookies turned on in your browser.
c. We use JAVA applets.  These features need to be selected in your browser.


2)  Mail - Please send the following:

  • Make a copy of your last registration OR complete a Vehicle Transaction Application OR send a letter requesting to renew.  Include the license plate number and description of the vehicle in your letter.
  • Provide your mailing and residence address where you are attending college.
  • Must be a resident of Alaska.
  • Check or money order in the amount of the registration fees, only.

Update the ADDRESS on the card so that we will know where to mail your registration.

Mail requests to:

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W Benson Boulevard STE 200
Anchorage AK  99503-3600

Special Note: You are not required to provide the State of Alaska with proof of emissions testing while living outside of Alaska as a full-time college student, however, you will need to check with the state you are living in to assure you are in compliance with their laws.