Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Vehicle Registration >  Dual Registration or Commercial Trip Permit

Dual Registration or Commercial Trip Permit

What is Dual Registration?

Some commercial vehicles operate in more than one jurisdiction but do not register their vehicles under any prorate agreement nor with the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC). These vehicles must pay full registration fees in Alaska.

Since these vehicles are operated in jurisdictions other than Alaska their titles and registrations should remain with the owner and/or operator of the vehicle. (If the owner/operator of the vehicle is based in Alaska, these vehicles would follow normal title and registration procedures for Alaska.)

A common example of this is a Canadian owned vehicle that operates regularly between Alaska and Canada. These vehicles may acquire a dual registration and the vehicle may display more than one valid plate and have more than one valid registration certificate. These vehicles are only registered in the state of Alaska.

How do I apply for Dual Registration in Alaska?

The following items are required to be submitted to your local DMV Office:

What is a Commercial Trip Permit?

For a one-time (up to 30 days) trip to Alaska, it may be less expensive to obtain a Commercial Vehicle Trip Permit.

These may be obtained at the Tok Weigh Station. Their phone number is 1-907-883-4591.


  • $350.00 for Trucks, Vans, Truck Tractor or Commercial Bus
  • $10.00 for all other commercial vehicles (including a trailer or semi-trailer)

Please Note: We do not accept cash; please pay with: MasterCard, VISA, Comdata check, T-check or money orders.