Dual Registration or TEMPORARY REGISTRATION FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLES
What is Dual Registration?
Some commercial vehicles operate in more than one jurisdiction. These vehicles must pay full registration fees in Alaska. Titles and registrations for vehicles operated in jurisdictions other than Alaska should remain with the owner and/or operator of the vehicle.
A common example of duel registration is a Canadian owned vehicle that operates regularly between Alaska and Canada. These vehicles may acquire a dual registration and the vehicle may display more than one valid plate and have more than one valid registration certificate.
How do I apply for Dual Registration in Alaska?
The following items are required to be submitted to your local DMV Office:
- Current registration from another jurisdiction (Photocopy is acceptable)
- Application for Title & Registration
- USDOT Number, Tax ID Number and number of axles (see Commercial Vehicle Registration)
- Motor Carrier Identification Report form updated in the last 24 months
- Canadian Vehicles - Please note: you must provide proof of the U.S. Heavy Vehicle Use Tax payment or exemption at the time of application. Please see: Commercial Vehicle Registration
Temporary Registration for Truck or Trailer (TRT)
A temporary registration for truck or trailer may be purchased for commercial vehicles registered in another state/providence but not registered in the State of Alaska. This temporary registration is valid for up to 30 days and can be obtained online at myalaska.gov under the Measurement Standards and Commercial Vehicle Enforcement link. The vehicle must have a current registration in a different state/providence and the company’s USDOT number must have been updated within the last 24 months.
TRTs may also be obtained at the Tok Weigh Station or the Tok DMV. Unregistered vehicles that proceed beyond Tok will be subject to citations and may be liable in any incident involving an unregistered vehicle.
Questions regarding TRTs may be directed to the Tok Weigh Station at 1-907-883-4591.
$350.00 for Trucks, Vans, Truck Tractor, or Commercial Bus
$10.00 for Trailer or Semi-Trailer
Temporary Registrations are not refundable.