State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Emission Inspections and Waiver Information                                             


Emission Inspections and Waiver Information

Additional Information | Commuter | Diesel | Exceptions | General Information | I/M Requirements
Military | New Vehicles | Renewal Procedures | Trip Permit | Valid Dates | Waiver

I/M Testing in the Municipality of Anchorage ended March 1st, 2012.

Residence of the MOA who renew their registration before March 1st, 2012 are required to have an emission inspection.


Municipality of Anchorage (MOA)
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ~ Monday - Friday
825 L. Street, Suite 300

Referee Facility - By Appointment Only
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to  5:00 p.m.
6320 A Street
1-866-623-8378 (Emission's Referee Facility, only)


I/M Partners - Renew your registration when your I/M test is performed.


If an individual resides or commutes into the Municipality of Anchorage (MOA), their vehicle may be subject to an emissions inspection to determine that it does not exceed the federal standards for carbon monoxide pollution. This program targets gasoline powered vehicles which are the primary source of carbon monoxide pollution. Vehicles that are powered by dual fuel and diesel are subject to an inspection as well.  The program is run by the local government.  Only certificates issued in Alaska may be accepted by the Alaska DMV.  Please contact the MOA for procedures if you have obtained an I/M certificate in another state.

The Division of Motor Vehicles has no responsibility for administering or conducting the inspections.   The Division is responsible for enforcing the program by assuring that the vehicle is in compliance with the program prior to issuing a title or registration for the vehicle.

The requirement for inspection is determined by the owner's residence address, vehicle class, model year and fuel source.  In addition, if your vehicle is principally operated in a non-attainment area, inspection MAY be required.   Please contact the Municipality of Anchorage for information beyond that which is shown on this page.



(11) “commute” means to travel between a motorist’s residence and an I/M area, a nonattainment area, or a maintenance area for purposes of work or school;

Return to top


1968 and newer vehicles owned by a person that lives in the MOA, including Fort Richardson,
Elmendorf AFB, JBER, Indian, Chugiak, Eagle River, Girdwood and Eklutna. (See Exceptions and New Vehicle information listed below.)

Diesel:  Vehicles powered by diesel are subject to a one-time inspection, per owner. Contact the MOA for information on where an inspection can be done and obtaining the required diesel waiver.  The inspection is normally done when the vehicle is initially registered or when the vehicle is no longer considered a "New" vehicle.  (See below)

Exceptions:  Vehicles with an empty weight over 12,000 pounds, motorcycles, motor scooters, trailers and snow vehicles. 

New vehicles are exempt from I/M requirements for the first six years. 
Example:  In 2011, model years 2007 - 2012 are exempt. 

Vehicles that are exempt from obtaining an I/M test prior to registration due to the model year are required to display a "New Vehicle" sticker. These stickers are required by 18 AAC 52.020(d)(2) and are supplied by the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to the DMV. DMV employees will issue them to vehicles that are exempt from having to obtain an I/M test, but meet all the other requirements of the I/M program.

Return to top


Online Renewal:  All vehicles that have passed an I/M test in Alaska within 90 days of the registration expiration date can be renewed over the Internet.  The online renewal will not allow you to renew your vehicle if our system cannot verify that the vehicle has met the I/M requirements.  If you renew by mail, you may wish to send a copy of the certificate. 

NOTE:  If your vehicle has passed the I/M test and you receive an error message stating that an I/M is required prior to registration, please send a message and provide the license plate number, name of I/M station, date of test and I/M certificate number.  You will be notified when the problem has been corrected.

Return to top


An emission certificate is valid for 90 days from the date of the inspection for the purpose of registering a vehicle or renewing the registration. If a vehicle is not registered within this 90 day period, the owner is required to have the vehicle inspected again and obtain a new certificate.

Return to top


Seasonal Waiver:  A "Seasonal Waiver" may be issued to vehicle owners who do NOT drive their vehicle in the MOA between November 1st and March 31st. The owner must pay full registration fees and will be issued a special tab (two-tone) that denotes the vehicle will not be driven in the winter.   A Seasonal Waiver is valid for one biennial registration period; therefore a new seasonal waiver or an I/M test is required the next time the vehicle is due for renewal.    Seasonal Waiver Application

If a vehicle owner obtains a seasonal waiver and then decides at a later time that they need to use the vehicle between November 1st and March 31st, they must have the vehicle inspected and obtain a regular tab from DMV at a fee of $5.00. 

Diesel Waiver:  See Above

Outside Use Waiver:  An "Outside Use Waiver" is available to vehicle owners who have taken their vehicle outside of the MOA and are unable to obtain the inspection in Alaska. The owner must submit proof as to where the vehicle is being operated and must submit an application prior to issuance of a waiver.  Contact the MOA for further information.

Military:  A person stationed OUTSIDE of Alaska due to active duty military orders is not required to obtain an outside use waiver.  You may change your mailing and residence address on your vehicle registration to the address where you are stationed and the vehicle will not be subject to emissions inspections in Alaska until you return.  Check with the local government where you are stationed to see if you need to comply with their program, if available.

Trip Permits:  If your vehicle expires before you obtain an emission test, you may obtain a temporary permit at a DMV office for a fee of $5.00.  This permit allows you to drive the vehicle to an I/M testing facility.

Return to top


Other Requirements:  Emission inspections are normally required every two years at the time the biennial registration is renewed, however, inspections may also be required at other times. These times include when a vehicle is first registered in an inspection area, when a used vehicle is sold to a person living in an inspection area, and when a vehicle with a senior exemption, certain disability plates, government exempt or charitable exempt vehicle is sold to a person living in an inspection area and the vehicle has not had an inspection within the last 90 days.

Return to top