State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Duplicate Registration, License Plate(s) or Tab                                             


Duplicate Registration, License Plate(s) or Tab

Alaska law requires that if a Certificate of Registration, license plate(s) or tab is lost, stolen, mutilated or becomes illegible, the registered owner shall apply for a duplicate.

Application can be made by the registered owner or an authorized agent by mail when you are stationed outside of Alaska on military orders (see address below).

Required items:

  • Vehicle Transaction Application (State the reason for the request under "Comments")
  • Copy of previous registration, if available (for tab/plate requests)
  • Fees (see below)
Registration only
Tabs, specify month or year tab ~ price includes a new registration
License Plate(s) ~ price includes tabs and registration
Veteran's Plates ~ Include previous VET plate number for verification
Personalized or Specialty plate(s) ~ Same as to issue original plates

To apply for  a duplicate set of personalized plates when the current plates are unreadable or have been lost or stolen, an individual must obtain standard plates to use while the personalized plates are ordered from the manufacturer as they take approximately 12 weeks.   Complete both the Vehicle Transaction Application and a Personalized Plate application and submit them together at the address shown below.  Be sure to include a personalized check or money order in the amount of $30.00.

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W Benson Boulevard STE 200
Anchorage AK 99503-3600