Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Vehicle Registration >  Renewing from Outside of Alaska

Renewing Registration from Outside of Alaska

An Alaska resident who will be temporarily outside of Alaska when their registration expires is still required to renew their Alaska vehicle registration.

If you are not returning to Alaska, you must register your vehicle in your new state.

If you are Active Duty Military, please visit: Military Stationed Outside Alaska

If you are a college student, please visit: Attending College - Out of AK

Please be aware that boats must be registered in the state they are used. To register a boat used in Alaska, visit Boat Registration

How can I renew my registration?

Please begin the process early, so that you will be assured that you have the new registration before the current registration expiration date. All registrations expire on the last day of the registration month.

You must mail the following to us:

  1. Details about your registration to renew, such as...
  2. Personalized check or money order for Fees & Taxes
  3. A self-addressed envelope where we will mail the registration and tab

Please mail your request to:

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W Benson Boulevard STE 200
Anchorage AK 99503-3600