State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  What Vehicles Must Be Registered and When                                             


What Vehicles Must Be Registered and When

Every vehicle in Alaska is required to be registered unless specifically exempted by law. The owner of a vehicle, who is working in Alaska or is establishing residency in Alaska must apply for registration within ten days of entering the state or taking a job within the state. A non-resident may operate a vehicle with a current registration from another state for 60 days.

In order to register a vehicle in Alaska for the first time, an individual must submit the items listed below.  Click here for additional information regarding obtaining an Alaska title.

If an individual has purchased either a new or used vehicle from an Alaska dealer, the Alaska dealer will usually submit all of the documents to DMV.   If you have purchased a vehicle outside of Alaska, please see the following for procedures:

Vehicles Purchased Outside Alaska

Vehicles are registered for a two year period. Normally a vehicle is assigned an expiration date when the vehicle is first registered in Alaska and retains that month when ownership changes. A vehicle that has been expired for less than a full year is charged the full biennial fee beginning with the month the registration expired, even if an individual has just purchased the vehicle and the previous owner let the vehicle expire, or the vehicle has been parked while it was expired. The registration starts over when it has been expired for over an entire year or when the previous owner was exempt from registration fees (Senior Exemption, Disability Plates, etc.)

The Division of Motor Vehicles collects a Motor Vehicle Registration Tax (MVRT) for those municipalities and boroughs that have elected to have this form of personal property tax. The tax rates vary for each location.

Alaska law requires that the owner of a vehicle must maintain liability insurance in effect that provides for the following minimum amounts: $50,000 for bodily injury or death of any one person, $100,000 for bodily injury or death for any accident, and $25,000 for property damage. Failure to have liability insurance in effect may result in suspension of a driver's license. A driver is required to certify that there is a policy in effect, as required by law.