State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Trip Permits                                               


Trip Permits

It is unlawful to drive a vehicle on public roadways without a current registration, license plates and month/year tabs. The Division of Motor Vehicles can issue trip permits for specific types of moves. Please check with the Division of Motor Vehicles if your vehicle is unregistered and you need to move it for a one-time move.

If your vehicle expires before you obtain an emission test, you may obtain a one-way trip permit at any DMV office for a fee of $5.00.

Renewal Instructions