State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Reinstating from Financial Responsibility                                             


Reinstating from Financial Responsibility

When you lose your privilege to drive in Alaska for fraudulent use, the state revokes your license or privilege to drive. Your driving record will show that the state has taken action against your license. When you comply with the steps needed to get your license back, you are reinstating your driver’s license or privilege to drive.

To get your license back following the loss of your driving privileges, you need to apply for a new license at a Division of Motor Vehicles office and meet the following requirements.

  1. Show written proof of SR-22 Insurance.
  2. Pass vision test.
  3. You May need to pass a written and  road test.
  4. Pay the reinstatement and license fees.
  5. Present proof of birth and identity. See original license requirements  for acceptable documents.
  6. Present a notarized Parent Consent form if you are under 18
    (Required when your parent or guardian will not be accompanying you to the DMV)
  7. Show proof  that you have fulfilled your financial responsibility by one of the following:
  • Notarized release of liability (Form 450) signed by the party(ies) who sustained personal injuries or property damages.
  • Notarized settlement agreement or promissory note (Form 465) signed by you and the party(ies) who sustained personal injuries or property damages.
  • Deposit security for the amount of damages to the Division of Motor Vehicles(DMV). Any unclaimed funds may be refunded to you after two years.
  1. Sometimes, you need to take care of other problems before you are able to get your license back. When there are other problems with your driving privileges, a Division of Motor Vehicles employee will tell you what you need to do so that you can get your license back.

If you have any other questions you can call, write or visit a Division of Motor Vehicles office.

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 110221
Juneau AK 99811-0221

(907) 465-4361