Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Titles >  Reconstructed or Homebuilt Vehicles

Reconstructed or Homebuilt Vehicles

A reconstructed vehicle is a vehicle that has been materially altered from the original constructed vehicle by the removal, addition, or substitution of essential parts. Essential parts are considered to be the chassis, body, and engine.

NOTE: Replacement of ONLY the engine does not constitute a reconstructed vehicle.

A homebuilt trailer is a trailer which has been built by a person other than a manufacturer. A homebuilt trailer may be classed as either commercial or non-commercial.

In order to title and register a reconstructed or homebuilt vehicle a person must do the following:

  • The titles of the vehicles from which the chassis/frame vehicle identification number was obtained should be surrendered, if the title has not previously been surrendered to the Division. All bills of sale and invoices for major parts used in the construction should also be surrendered.
  • The vehicle must be inspected by a law enforcement officer or a representative of the Division of Motor Vehicles. The purpose of the inspection is to verify the vehicle identification number and the identity of the vehicle. An individual may obtain a special one-way trip permit from DMV for the purpose of bringing the vehicle to a DMV office for inspection.
  • Obtain lien releases for any liens recorded on the vehicle records with the DMV.
  • Complete a Reconstructed Vehicle Affidavit (Form 829), or in the case of a trailer built from scratch, a Homebuilt Trailer Affidavit (Form 819) and submit it along with the vehicle inspection, titles, bills of sale and an Application for Title & Registration (Form 812) to the DMV. This affidavit must be notarized and executed by the person who actually built or reconstructed the vehicle.
  • Weight Slip is required for homebuilt trailers.

Click Here to See the following for Fees.

Homebuilt and reconstructed vehicle affidavits may be obtained at your local DMV Office.