DOPLR Course Offerings
To Enroll in a Course
Below is a list of the courses offered. Contact T&D for information on customization of these courses, special designs, team building or custom leadership courses.
The title of each DOPLR course links to a short description of the course. This will help you understand what you will get out of the course and why you should take it. To see additional descriptions of the RAPID courses and to find all training materials click on the title of the course to be taken to the Rapid Learning Courses webpage (only available on the SOA network).
Under the short description of each DOPLR course there is a link to see a longer course objectives description.
To enroll, login to TrainAlaska and search by the course code, or course title.
|ARWP||A Respectful Workplace||Compliance||4 hours||Classroom|
|AFSU||Academy for Supervisors||Leadership||5 days||Classroom|
|CMGT||Change Management||Change||1 day||Classroom|
|INSK||Interpersonal Skills||Communication||1 day||Classroom|
|LEAD||Leadership Excellence||Leadership||2 day||Classroom|
|PERM||Performance Management||Coaching||2 day||Classroom|
|SRVE||Service Excellence||Customer Service||1 day||Classroom|
|3DIN||Three Dimensional Hiring||Hiring||1 day||Classroom|
|TRNR||Train the Trainer||Custom||Custom||Custom|
|VDIV||Valuing Diversity||Compliance||1 day||Classroom|
|WPAK||Workplace Alaska for Hiring Managers||Hiring||4 hours||Online|
Rapid Learning Courses
Please note, that all courses below are only available if you are on the SOA Network.
Course Short Descriptions
A Respectful Workplace: ARWP
- This short hour four-hour course is packed with essential information you should know about respect and behavior in the State of Alaska workplace. There is behavior required in the workplace that you, I, everyone must comply with whether they like it or not.
- Sometimes disrespect comes out of perceptions, so understanding the policies and laws governing our behavior, recognize the steps we personally can take and what to do if it occurs is covered in this course.
- Often people come to this course with hesitancy and are surprised and appreciative of what they learn.
- It is fast paced and likely to be not what you expected for a short course.
Academy for Supervisors: AFSU
- This five day course applies to new and experienced supervisors. At the end of this course you will understand State supervisor responsibilities, what is expected of you and where to go for help.
- You will learn and practice communication, coaching, correcting skills and have a good understanding of the disciplinary process.
- Although this course is five days it continually gets good reviews from students. It is a very popular course and at the end most people say it was well worth it.
- This course is recommended for every Supervisor in the State.
Change Management: CMGT
- Sometimes change managers wonder why some of their people are not accepting change, when often the real cause is the people were not considered during the development of the change and resistance is associated to the loss some people face in the change.
- The bottom line is your change planning is more likely to be successful if you not only care for how you design the change but also how you manage the involvement of people in the change.
- The key mantra of this course is to learn how to design your change in a way that cares for the effects of change and help both yourself and your people become change resilient.
- Sometimes there is a supervisor who just wants to fire that person straight away. Well that’s not how it works in the State, State employees rightly have protections and there are processes and policies that must be followed.
- There are also responsibilities you must fulfill to sustain discipline after it is imposed. You will learn how to do that in this course. You will recognize the areas where you could do better in preventing discipline ever being necessary but when it is, you will know where to go, what to expect and the responsibilities you face.
- This material is also taught in the Academy for supervisors. The difference is that in this course we spend time on investigations, how to perform them and your interaction with Human Resources throughout the process.
- This is a customized course, meaning you need to call T&D if you are interested in having this course take place.
- How are your floor skills? No not sweeping the floor. Have you been to a presentation where they used PowerPoint slides that were full of words, oh and then they decided you can’t read so they read every slide to you.
- You will learn how not to do that, how to design your presentation so it is meaningful to your audience, how to read from notes without appearing to look at them, how you carry yourself as you deliver. You will practice and see yourself on video. When you walk out of this course you will know what to do to be effective as a presenter.
- Ever wondered if its ok to plow your driveway with the State truck, or take a piece of state property home temporarily to use it for yourself.
- What are the rules, what would get you in trouble, where do you find information about Ethics.
- You will learn all of this in this self-paced online course. This course is in modules that you can complete in any order, at your desk and by the end of the course you will have all of your answers.
Interpersonal Skills: INSK
- Have you ever lost your cool in communication, been yelled at, or yelled at someone? This course is all about communication that will help you be a good communicator.
- The skills taught in this course can be used anywhere, so they are not just workplace skills they are life skills. You will learn how to be assertive, and give effective feedback while controlling your emotions.
- At times, some of us feel like we are victims. An important concept of this course is that the best attitude is an empowered assertive attitude, you will learn how to do just that.
- Every State employee should consider attending this course during their career.
Leadership Excellence: LEAD
- What sort of leader are you? Do you have vision? What are your values, how do you allow people to take risks and what have you allowed to stay the same way because that’s the way it’s always been done.
- In this two day course you will be challenged to face how you lead and the good thing is this whole course is designed to bring out the leader in you by helping you understand what you are doing, and what you should be doing to influence your team to extraordinary performance not because you want them to but because they want to follow your LEAD.
- How do you portray values, how do inspire yourself and others, what do you do to look for continuous improvement, how do you praise and thank your people? Come to the course and learn why these leadership behaviors are important.
- This course is so important it is open to all employees and not just supervisors. If you come to this course, test and adopt the concepts taught, people will see the leader in you.
Performance Management: PERM
- When was the last time you read the raters guide? If T&D asked to see your supervisor file on each of your staff members, would they see records where you talked with your direct report about their performance growth strategies. Would there be a coaching plan? Would we have any idea from reading that file, what your plan is to help your direct report grow.
- This class will teach you why all of that is important, how to do it and why it will help you and your direct report be successful.
Service Excellence: SRVE
- Are customers important to you? Is the customer, always right? Why do customers get upset and what’s a good way of dealing with it when they do?
- This course is not just about customer service. It is about the behaviors professional customer service representatives use while delivering exceptional service.
- Customer service is so important that we should all considering attending both customer service and interpersonal skills courses on regular occasions, to refresh, renew and reinvigorate ourselves.
- This course will give you that opportunity.
Team Building: TMBG
- Contact T&D to discuss this custom course. It is a on request course. One way to build a team is for the team to examine where they are now, what is happening there, where they want to be. You will also learn that most, if not all people want to work in a place that is not dysfunctional. But what is stopping them getting there – you will learn that too.
- This class is more of a workshop with a lot of facilitation to bring out the – where are you now – behaviors. There is a lot of soul searching, sometimes tears, and the sessions are designed to get the team to open up to each other.
- No one gets thrown under the bus in these sessions however a lot of people realize they need to make some changes before they get that workplace they want.
- Typically, a team building session will result in:
- The team opening up and revealing issues
- Prioritization of the top communication and process issues
- Development and agreement on team values to help guide behavioral choices.
- This is called Team Building for a reason. T&D will come and help you sow the seeds of your future but once they leave, you and your team need to water and nurture your environment for teambuilding to be effective. We will show you how you can do that.
Three-Dimensional Interview: 3DIN
- This course is a workshop, you will be involved in numerous exercises designed to help you really challenge your questions and their value.
- You will learn to design and balance your questions to test for Chemistry (how they fit in) Capability (Knowledge and skills) Commitment (self-motivation and strategic alignment)
- If you do hiring this is a must attend course, the key focus of this course is to learn to design questions that get a capable person that will fit in to your workplace culture.
Train the Trainer: TRNR
- This is a custom course, just call us at T&D. This course is used by T&D to train adjuncts to deliver State courses. If you have some trainers you want trained we can show you how we train ours.
- Your trainers will learn and practice platform skills. Skill demonstrations sessions are videotaped then reviewed. Your trainers will learn how and why they should choose certain behaviors to demonstrate that they are effective presenters and most of all effective learning environment coordinators.
- Call us at 375-7700.
Valuing Diversity: VDIV
- What is it? Why is it important to me? How do you apply it?
- In this class, you will explore how your view of the world influences your behavior. You will also gain some appreciation of how and why others may see the world differently to you. This will help you to check your assumptions about behavior in the workplace.
- You will learn an effective feedback tool to help clarify these differences. You will also know why it is important for you to seek that understanding as a State of Alaska employee in the State of Alaska workplace.
- Important Note: All employees must attend this course; supervisors must attend within one year of appointment.
Workplace Alaska for Hiring Managers: WPAK
- How do you hire someone, what happens if they cry discrimination, what records do I need to keep, what policies do I need to consider?
- In this course, you will learn what you need to know to be able to access the hiring manager section of Workplace Alaska but more importantly what are all the things I need to watch out for as I go through the hiring process.
- You are not allowed access to the Workplace Alaska management area unless you have completed this course. This course gives you information necessary to be able to legally defend your hiring. This is a self paced online course.