Performance Management: PERM
This two-day course is designed for effective implementation of Performance Evaluations. The course will help managers, supervisors and staff effectively implement the State of Alaska Performance Evaluation processes. Additionally the coaching model taught in this class can be applied to coaching for improvement for short term projects as well as the Performance Evaluation cycle.
This course replaces the Performance Appraisal and Performance Coaching classes. If you have attended those classes there is no need to attend this course other than for further development of your skills in this area.
The course will walk students through the Performance management process from the initial appraisal meeting, through intermediary coaching sessions, teach you how to effectively coach and negotiate skill improvement and apply standards to goals. You will learn how to document and manage the whole process, including writing the appraisal and having the final appraisal meeting.
Those who are not managers or supervisors will learn how to utilize the Performance Management Process to improve their performance and work with their managers to obtain a objective appraisal of their annual performance.
Course Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of this one-day course participants will:
- have knowledge of the State of Alaska Performance Management model and process.
- be able to perform the tasks associated with conducting the annual job analysis to ensure a current and accurate position description.
- have knowledge of the tasks associated with the Probationary and Annual Appraisal cycles.
- have knowledge of how to determine performance standards and expectations.
- be able to define basic coaching terms and have knowledge of the supporting skills associated with the behaviors and competency of coaching.
- be able to perform the tasks associated with preparing for and conducting a performance appraisal meeting.
- have knowledge of the Raters Guide and other statewide policies and procedures associated with performance management and employee appraisals.
- understand the benefits to the State, your organization and employee growth through the effective use of coaching and performance standards.