December Wellness Challenge
Maintain Don't Gain During the Holidays
On average, Americans gain about one to two pounds during the holidays. Since gaining weight is almost as difficult as losing weight, avoiding weight gain during the holidays is feasible. Luckily, these extra pounds can be avoided by using simple strategies:
- Mindful eating
Helpful tips are provided below and on the Weight Log Calendar [PDF 246K]. Use the Calendar to document your weight at least once per week during the challenge.
Tips for maintaining weight
Tip #1: Don’t skip meals
- Skipping meals can lead to overeating.
- Don’t starve yourself before a meal. Eat a small snack such as fruit and nuts.
- Eat breakfast. Research shows those who eat breakfast consume fewer calories throughout the day.
- Include high fiber foods such as fruits, veggies or whole grains. These foods provide lower amounts of calories while also providing a feeling of fullness.
Tip #2: Control your portions
- Use a smaller plate.
- Fill your plate with veggies/salad before going onto entrees and/or dessert.
Tip #3: Don’t rush
- It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to receive a signal of fullness from your stomach. Wait 10 minutes before you go back for seconds to decide whether you are truly still hungry.
Tip #4: Fit in some physical activity
- Don’t forget to include some physical activity for the day. Try starting a family tradition like a community fun run, playing a game of touch football, going for a walk or playing catch.
- Document your current weight on the indicated spot on the Challenge Log [PDF]
- Record your weight on the log at least once per week during the challenge. Be sure to weigh-in around the same time during the day since weight can fluctuate throughout the day.
- Dubmit your completed Challenge Log by January 10 to the Wellness Team by email or fax (listed below).
Wellness Team Contact Information
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact:
- Michael DiFilippo, MS, RD, LD
- Wellness Coordinator
- Registered Dietitian
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: (907) 297-7365
- Phone: (877) 517-6370 and select the wellness program option
- Direct: (907) 297-7350