Enrollment GuideInformation and Instructions

Open Enrollment is now closed.
Changes will go into effect Jan 1, 2019.

  1. Getting Started
  2. What Plan am I in?
  3. Qualified Status Change
  4. Open Enrollment
  5. How to Enroll

Getting Started

You must elect benefits within 30 days of your hire date or after a Qualified Status Change. You may also enroll or change your benefits during the annual Open Enrollment period.

Before enrolling in your new Employee Benefits or changing your current benefits, please review the different options and latest changes to the benefits and plan premiums. Then decide which benefits will be most appropriate for you and your family.

AlaskaCare Members may add, change or delete dependents covered under your health plan at any time by logging into their myAlaska account. Be sure to add eligible dependents when you are first hired and then review the dependents anytime you make future changes to your benefits; adding any necessary updates as your dependents change.

All members of Union Health Trusts, except Labor Trades and Crafts, are eligible to enroll in Voluntary Supplemental Benefits provided by the state. Visit the appropriate trust Web site to update your dependents and for more details on enrollment.

Enrollments must be made online. If you experience technical difficulties while trying to enroll contact the Member Services Contact Center at:

Juneau: (907) 465-4460
Outside Juneau: (800) 821-2251
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Alaska Time)

Top of Page

What Plan Am I in?

Wondering what plan you are in? Your plan is based on your bargaining unit affiliation and depending on the specific plan you are in, you may be required to pay a portion of the premium.

Please visit the What Plan Am I In page to find the specific health plan for your bargaining unit.

Top of Page

Qualified Status Change

A Qualified Status Change is a change in your family or employment status which allows you to make changes to your coverages.

If you have a "qualified status change" during the year, you can make changes to your coverages (subject to limitations). Changes must be made within 30 days of the event. Examples of qualified status changes include the following:

  • You gain or lose a dependent, through birth or adoption, marriage, divorce, or death.
  • Your dependent is no longer eligible.
  • Your spouse terminates employment, begins an extended period of leave or layoff without pay, or begins new employment.
  • Your spouse or you change employment status from full-time to part-time or from part-time to full-time.
  • Your spouse has a significant change in his or her health coverage caused by their employment.

You may also change benefits if you move from an AlaskaCare participating group to a non-participating group.

Top of Page

Open Enrollment

Open Enrollment is the annual time of year when you can make changes to your current benefits. Typically Open Enrollment occurs during the first three weeks of November. Unless you are a new hire or have had a Qualified Status Change, then this is the only time during the year where you may make changes to your current benefit. All new enrollments and benefit changes must be made online by logging into your myAlaska account.

Please visit the Open Enrollment section to see what options were available from last year's Open Enrollment period, or to see what's new coming this year.

Top of Page

How to Enroll

Ready to Enroll? Follow these instructions for how to enroll online:

  • Log in to your myAlaska account:
    • Go to myRnB.alaska.gov. This is the myRnB portal.
    • On the right side of the page, choose Login using myAlaska. You will be directed to the myAlaska login page, where you will login using your myAlaska ID and password. This is the same ID and password you use to register for your PFD. After you login to myAlaska, you will be redirected back to myRnB.
    • On the myRnB page, under Self-Service Tools, choose Online Benefits Enrollment, or if during an Open Enrollment period click on Open Enrollment.

  • Select the appropriate Change Reason option to indicate the reason for your enrollment, enter the date for this change reason in the correct format and click on Change Elections.
    • If you are a new hire, the system will request information about your employment type, monthly base wage, and hire date. This information should be provided to you by your hiring manager or human resource office on the Enrollment Personal Information Sheet.

  • The system will:
    • display your current benefits if you are enrolled and changing what you currently have,
    • or display no current benefits if you are a new hire.

  • Once you have selected your new benefits, it will automatically calculate the premiums when you click Preview.

  • Once satisfied with your elections then confirm by clicking Submit.

  • A page confirming receipt of your enrollment will be displayed; print a copy for your records as no additional confirmation will be provided.

Top of Page