Report a Death
To report the death of a member or surviving spouse of the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS), Judicial Retirement System (JRS), or Elected Public Officers’ Retirement System (EPORS), please have the following information ready:
- Name of the deceased
- Date of birth
- Name and contact information for the surviving spouse
- A contact name and phone number or email address
You can report the death by completing the following form and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also report a death by contacting the Member Services Contact Center toll-free at (800) 821-2251, or in Juneau at (907) 465-4460 Monday – Thursday from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. or Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
What to expect:
- Information about any benefits payable and any forms required for payment will be mailed to beneficiaries within 10 business days of a report of death. Please allow 5 to 7 additional days for mailing.
- The Division must receive a certified copy of the death certificate before any benefits can be paid.
- Due to confidentiality requirements, only beneficiaries will receive information on benefits payable. An exception can be the executor of the estate. If you are an executor, please be prepared to provide:
- Acceptance of Duties by Personal Representative
- Letters of Testamentary by Court
Medical Benefit Information for Surviving Spouses and Dependents:
- Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) – Defined Benefit Plan
- Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS) – Defined Benefit Plan
- Judicial Retirement System (JRS)
- Elected Public Officers Retirement System (EPORS)