Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment
All employees are automatically enrolled in Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D). This group life plan is offered at no cost to the employee. It is the employee's responsibility to add additional life insurance at the time of hire or during open enrollment, if desired.
- Additional coverage options
- Eligibility information
- Benefit amount
- Coverage starts
- Coverage ends
- Beneficiary form
- Basic AD&D Coverage
- Supervisory, Confidential, Partially Exempt, Exempt and General Government employees only: $10,000 lump sum, payable regardless of cause and $5000 additional, if death is accidental
- All others: $2,000 lump sum, payable regardless of cause and $5000 additional, if death is accidental.
Paid by the State. (Free of charge.)
Automatic at time of hire
Coverage starts on the 31st day of work, assuming no leave without pay (LWOP) has been taken. If there are breaks in coverage due to LWOP, other effective dates may apply.
The last day of the month in which:
- Pay status ends; or
- Employment terminates; or
- Premium is paid
May be continued while on LWOP by paying premium to life carrier. Cannot be continued or converted at termination.
- Download this form on the Life Insurance forms page.
Basic AD&D Coverage
Besides the full amount of the Basic Life, Basic AD&D benefits are payable for losses that occur within 100 days of an accident and as a result of accidental bodily injury, independent of all other causes, for loss of life, or loss of both hands, both feet, sight of both eyes or any such combination. One-half of the full amount is payable if you lose one hand, on foot, or the sight of one eye.
See Handbook for Basic AD&D Exclusions and other details.