When you elect to add an Optional Benefits Life Plans, you have the option of adding:
- Supplemental Life as described on this page
- Supplemental Survivor Benefits
- Supplemental AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) Benefits
Supplemental Life Details
- Group term life insurance
- Covers employee only
- Pays in a lump sum
As of January 1, 2003, the following employees are eligible to participate in Optional Benefits:
- State employees not participating in AlaskaCare, except members of the Labor, Trades and Crafts Unit
- Employees of a participating political subdivision covered under the terms of the political subdivision’s participation agreement.
- Leased employees and emergency employees hired for natural disasters are not eligible.
Choice at enrollment of:
- If selecting Survivor Benefits, the maximum Supplemental Life you may chose is $10,000.
- If selecting Survivor Benefits, you may elect to not have any Supplemental Life Benefits.
- If selecting AD&D Benefits, the minimum Supplemental Life you may chose is $10,000.
- If a member selects a Supplemental Life insurance option that, when combined with Basic Life insurance coverage, amounts to total life insurance coverage exceeding $50,000, the portion of the premiums for the coverage over $50,000 is taxable.