NOTICE OF PROPOSED CHANGES IN THE REGULATIONS PROVIDING FOR GROUP HEALTH AND LIFE INSURANCE COVERAGE IN THE DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATION, DIVISION OF RETIREMENT AND BENEFITS
- Regulations Public Notice [PDF version of this webpage 189KB]
- Proposed Regulations [PDF 35KB]
- Alaska Online Public Notice System
The Division of Retirement and Benefits proposes to amend regulations in 2 AAC 39 providing for Group Health and Life Insurance coverage for eligible state employees.
- 2 AAC 39 will be amended by adding Article 7. Waiver of Coverage (2 AAC 39.950 – 2 AAC 30.990) for exemption from group health benefits plan coverage upon waiver of coverage.
- 2 AAC 39.950 allows eligible state employees to exempt themselves from coverage under a group health benefit plan if the employee elects to voluntarily waive medical, dental, or vision coverage. The coverage can be waived for the eligible state employee, their spouse, and their dependent(s) or only their spouse and dependents, while retaining coverage for the employee. The employee must elect to waive coverage in a format provided by the plan administrator.
- 2 AAC 39.960 describes the circumstances and timelines that an eligible state employee may elect to waive coverage for themselves and/or their spouse and dependent(s).
- 2 AAC 39.970 defines the date of election of waiver.
- 2 AAC 39.980 describes the actions that may be taken during open enrollment period and defines the default enrollment option should action not be taken.
- 2 AAC 39.990 gives the meanings of eligible state employee, group health benefit plan, plan administrator, and postmark.
You may comment on the proposed regulation changes, including the potential costs to private persons of complying with the proposed changes, by submitting written comments to DRB Benefits Section at PO Box 110203, 333 Willoughby Avenue, Juneau, Alaska 99811-0203. Additionally, the Division of Retirement and Benefits will accept comments by facsimile at 907-465-3086 and by electronic mail at . Comments may also be submitted through the Alaska Online Public Notice System by accessing this notice on the system and using the comment link. The comments must be received no later than 5:00p.m. on November 4, 2016.
Oral or written comments also may be submitted at a hearing to be held on October 19, 2016 in the Atwood Conference Center, Room 102, Robert Atwood Building, 550 West 7th Avenue, Anchorage. The hearing will be held from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and might be extended to accommodate those present before 4:00 p.m. who did not have an opportunity to comment. You may also call the hearing on a conference line at 1-800-672-0241.
You may submit written questions relevant to the proposed action to the Division of Retirement and Benefits by email at or mailing to P.O. Box 110203, 333 Willoughby Avenue, Juneau, Alaska 99811-0203. The questions must be received at least 10 days before the end of the public comment period. The Division of Retirement and Benefits will aggregate its response to substantially similar questions and make the questions and responses available on the Alaska Online Public Notice System and the Division of Retirement and Benefits website.
If you are a person with a disability who needs a special accommodation in order to participate in this process, please contact Steve Ramos at (907) 465-2307 no later than Thursday, October 27, 2016 to ensure that any necessary accommodations can be provided.
A copy of the proposed regulation changes and of material to be adopted by reference is available on the Alaska Online Public Notice System, the Division of Retirement and Benefits web site and by contacting the Health Benefits section at PO Box 110203, 333 Willoughby Avenue, Juneau, Alaska 99811-0203 or .
After the public comment period ends, the Division of Retirement and Benefits will either adopt the proposed regulation changes or other provisions dealing with the same subject, without further notice, or decide to take no action. The language of the final regulations may be different from that of the proposed regulations. YOU SHOULD COMMENT DURING THE TIME ALLOWED IF YOUR INTERESTS COULD BE AFFECTED.
Statutory Authority: AS 39.30.090, AS 39.30.091, AS 39.30.095
Fiscal Information: The proposed regulation changes are not expected to require an increased appropriation.