PERS Military Service Credit

Claiming a Military Service Credit

You may be eligible to receive up to five years of Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) credit for your active military service in the U.S. Armed Forces, if you are vested and you were honorably discharged. PERS retirees, deferred vested members, and surviving spouses of members who had served in the armed forces, may also be eligible to receive this credit.

Members first hired under the PERS after June 30, 1986, are not eligible for PERS military credit if they are retired from regular service and eligible for a federal benefit for the same service. Retired National Guard and Reserve Unit members may be eligible to claim active military service even though they are eligible to receive a federal retirement benefit for the same service.

Military credit does not count towards retirement eligibility, however it is used in the calculation of your monthly benefits.

Military service also includes active service as:

  1. A foreign service officer, foreign service reserve officer, or limited foreign service reserve officer with the U.S. Department of State in Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos from August 4, 1964, through November 7, 1975; and
  2. A member of the U.S. Merchant Marines from December 1941, through September 30, 1945.

Top of page

How to Claim Service

You may claim your military service by:

The application and other forms are available on this Web site. If you would like assistance, please call (907) 465-4460, or email us.

After your application is received and accepted, an indebtedness will be established and you may begin making payments.

Top of page

The Cost

The cost for claiming military service (indebtedness) will depend on when you are first eligible (date first vested) to claim it.

Members first eligible:

  • After December 31, 1986, will be charged 8.5% of their annualized vesting year salary for each year claimed.
  • Before January 1, 1987, will be charged 6% of their 1976 or annualized vesting year salary, whichever is later, for each year claimed.

Interest on an indebtedness for service under (1) and (2) begins accruing on July 1, 1987, or one year following the member’s vesting date, whichever is later. For other military service, interest begins accruing on July 1, 1977, or one year following vesting, whichever is later. Seven percent interest will continue to accrue until the indebtedness is completely paid or you retire, whichever occurs first.

The total military credit that may be claimed in the PERS and Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS) is five years for those persons who have served in both systems.

Top of page

Call to Active Duty

If you are employed by a PERS employer on the date that you are called to active military duty and you return to PERS employment within 90 days following your discharge, you are not required to pay contributions for that period of military service. You are required to contact the Division to claim this time.

Please note: call to active duty does not count towards five-year limit of claimed military service.

What Tier am I?

Members who first entered a PERS position and were making contributions:

  • Before 7/1/86—Tier I.
  • On or after 7/1/1986, but before 7/1/1996—Tier II.
  • On or after July 1, 1996, but before 7/1/2006—Tier III.

This brochure only applies to Tiers I, II, and III. If you entered a PERS position on or after 7/1/2006, refer to the PERS/TRS Defined Contribution Retirement Plan documentation.

Top of page