PERS Contributions

How much do I pay?

Pre-tax employee contribution:

  • 7.5% beginning 1/1/87 (police and fire)
  • 9.6% beginning 7/1/99 (school district)
  • 6.75% beginning 1/1/87 (all others)

Contributions are taken up to th emaximum salary allowable under the IRS 401(a)(17) limits for the year.

Top of page

How can I obtain the contribution account balances for my account and my spouse's account?

Your contribution account balance and any information related to your account is available to you upon proper identification. myRnB Member Services Online

Administrative regulations do not allow us to release information regarding personal or financial data to anyone other than the member without the member's prior written authorization unless the inquiring party has a subpoena or a court order to secure the information. We are allowed to release the information to the member's employer, former employer, or other authorized state agency.

A member's spouse or legal counsel is NOT entitled to the member's information without a properly executed release.

Top of page

Can I borrow money from my contribution account balance in an emergency?

No. Your account balance is not available to you until you are terminated from employment. Layoff or leave without pay status is not termination for purposes of obtaining a refund.

Top of page

What are my options regarding my contribution account balance if I terminate my position?

You always have the option of leaving the money in your account. If you are a vested member intending to retire in the future, or are a nonvested member and intend to become re-employed in a covered position in the future, it may be wise to do so.

If you refund your account, you become a former member and forfeit any rights you had as a member. If you refund your account, you must take a full refund. You cannot obtain a partial refund.

To obtain a refund of your contribution account balance you must complete a Refund Election form (gen008) [PDF 142K].

If your account balance is less than $5,000, completing this form with just your signature is sufficient. If your account balance is $5,000 or more, your signature must be notarized. Also if you are married and your account balance is $5,000 or more, your spouse must consent to the refund with a notarized signature. If the rights to your refund are subject to a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO), a Child Support Service Division Order (CSSD), an IRS Levy, or any other legal attachment, you need to contact the Division for further instructions.

Top of page

(Rev. 2/19/2008)