Returning to State Employment After Retirement FAQs

Who do I need to notify when I have returned to work in a PERS-covered position after retirement?

You need to immediately notify our Pension Adjustments section in the Division of Retirement and Benefits. If we are notified in a timely manner, we can prevent overpayment of benefits.

What if I am coming back to work in a temporary position?

If this is a temporary (nonpermanent) position in which you are not making contributions or accruing PERS service, you are not required to notify us. You will continue to receive your retirement benefit as before.

Will I lose my tier?

If you come back to work, you will not lose your tier. If you return to work in a permanent full-time or part-time position in the PERS, you will accrue service under your original tier.

What happens to my retirement benefit if I return to work in a PERS position after retirement?

If you to return to work in a permanent full-time or part-time position in the PERS:

  • your retirement benefit will stop during your reemployment;
  • you will make contributions to PERS once again;
  • you will accrue PERS service toward a second retirement benefit.

What if I am a Retirement Incentive Program (RIP) retiree and want to come back to work?

If you retired under a RIP, your retirement will be recalculated to exclude your RIP credit and you will owe the PERS 110% or 150% of the benefits you received as a result of the program, including any costs for health insurance.

An indebtedness will be established for what you owe and will be reduced by the amount that you paid to participate in the RIP.

There are some exceptions for RIP retirees, but they are very specific and narrowly defined.

Please see PERS Working After Retirement for more information.

Updated 11/09