Marriage After Retirement

If you are retired member and have recently married you should submit your marital status change and, if appropriate, name change to the Division of Retirement and Benefits. Your records with the PERS will be updated with the first administratively possible retiree payroll after your request has been received.

Since you have already retired and made irrevocable elections to your retirement benefit, please be aware that your new spouse will not be eligible for any survivor benefits in the event of your death. Your new spouse will only be eligible for your last retirement check if he or she is listed as your beneficiary.

You should also update your beneficiary designations at this time, both with the PERS and with other benefit plans you participate in.