Purchasing TRS Service Credit
- What other types of service can I claim in the TRS?
- Can I purchase teaching service from outside Alaska?
- Can I purchase teaching service with the Alaska Bureau of Indian Affairs?
- Can I buy military time?
- Can I receive credit in the PERS at the same time I am receiving TRS credit?
- Claimed Service Cost Summary Chart [PDF 12K]
- Outside Service Credit Brochure [PDF 110K]
- Application for Alaska Bureau of Indian Affairs Employment [PDF 44K]
- Application for Military Service Credit [PDF 61K]
- Outside Service Verification/Claim Form [PDF]
What other types of service can I claim in the TRS?
You can purchase outside teaching service, Alaska Bureau of Indian Affairs service, or Military service. These are explained in greater detail in other questions and answers.
Can I purchase teaching service from outside Alaska?
You are eligible to claim up to 10 years of full-time service in an out-of-state school or Alaska private school if you were:
- a certified elementary or secondary teacher or certified employee in a position which requires a teaching certificate as a condition of employment in an out-of-state public school either inside or outside the United States supported by U.S. funds, or an approved or accredited nonpublic school either inside or outside the United States supported by U.S. funds; or
- employed in an out-of-state institution of higher learning requiring academic standing and accreditation by a nationally recognized accrediting agency listed in the Education Directory, Colleges and Universities, by the National Center for Education Statistics; or
- a teacher in an approved or accredited nonpublic institution of higher learning in Alaska.
The cost to purchase outside experience will vary depending upon your entry date and entry base salary after the service was performed in the Alaska TRS. Please contact the Division of Retirement and Benefits for cost information.
Can I purchase teaching service with the Alaska Bureau of Indian Affairs?
You may claim service as a full-time certified teacher in a position which requires a teaching certificate as a condition of employment; or a professional educator. Alaska BIA service may count toward vesting and retirement eligibility. The cost is based on your entry in the Alaska TRS after the service was performed. If your entry was before July 1, 1970, you will be charged 5% of base salary for each year of Alaska BIA. If your entry was after June 30, 1970, you will be charged 7% of base salary for each year of Alaska BIA, and if your entry was after June 30, 1990, the charge is 8.65% of base salary. If you receive a federal benefit based on Alaska BIA, the Alaska TRS will offset their benefits by the amount you receive in federal benefits for that service.
Can I buy Military time?
You can purchase up to 5 years of active service including active duty National Guard time. If you were first hired in the TRS after June 30, 1990 and are eligible for a federal benefit based on the same service, you cannot claim the service in the TRS. The cost for eligible service is 7% of your base salary for each year claimed, if you were hired prior to July 1, 1990, or 8.65% of your base salary for each year claimed, if you vested after June 31, 1990.
Can I receive credit in the PERS at the same time I am receiving TRS credit?
Members cannot receive duplicate credit in PERS except as an elected official. Benefits are payable if you are retired in the TRS and you meet the following:
- the service occurs while you are a full-time TRS employee;
- the service is with a municipality or political subdivision that is participating in the PERS at the time the elected service occurs;
- you are compensated for the elected service; and
- you pay the mandatory PERS contributions for the elected service (6.75% of salary).