Alaska Video Teleconference Network
How many Video Teleconference Sites does the State have?
- Teleconferencing locations are all over Alaska.
Is the State system owned & operated by an outside vendor?
- AVTN is owned & operated by various State organizations with services provided by various providers.
- Bridges and networks are currently managed by GCI.
- Rooms and systems are owned by various State agencies and managed by the state
- Data transmission is currently managed by the state.
I’ve heard that the sites are too busy!
- Outside of the first quarter of the year, video conferences are scheduled less than 25% of the time. 30%-40% of room use has been for regular meetings.
How difficult is it to use the teleconferencing equipment?
- Normal operation merely requires you to turn on the TV sets and use a remote with a menu to "point" at your other site. Most users easily operate the equipment within 10 minutes.
- Of the several thousand conferences to date, few have had major problems. “Minor” problems are solved within 5 minutes. “Major” problems are typically resolved within 30 minutes.
Is videoconferencing expensive?
- Simple point to point video conferences will not incur any charge, but is paid for through the EPR.
I want to Videoconference using workstation software over the Internet. Can I tie into your system?
- Yes. Our systems use H.323 protocol for either point to point or bridged(multiple site) connections.
I want to use a room to downlink from satelite. Can I use your system?
- Yes. You need to sumit a SDM to make sure this is coordinated with multiple providers.
How many people will each room accommodate?
- Each site can typically accommodate up to 20 or more people.
Is there parking available?
- Yes. Parking is available at all sites.
How many rooms can be connected at one time?
- Any number of rooms can be connected by using a bridge.
Will someone be at each site to help us?
- Technical support is available on request.
How much does it cost?
- Basic point to point rates are already paid for in the Enterprise Productivity rate. If you require multiple sites, special services or a high quality of service, rates are based on a SLA rate.
How do I schedule the rooms? Do I have to contact each site?
- Scheduling a teleconference is easy. You may use this web interface, use the enterprise calendar, submit an SDM or call the service center at call 1-888-565-8680 and indicate the dates and locations.
How far in advance do I need to schedule a conference?
- Scheduling the room is the biggest challenge. The further in advance you schedule the greater the chance you can secure the conference rooms you want. The actual connecting of a simple point to point video call can happen quite spontaneously. If bridging services or tech support are needed please give the service center as much notice as possible.