State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division of Office of Public Advocacy

Alaska Department of Administration, Office of Public Advocacy
Administration >  Office of Public Advocacy >  Programs >  Family Guardianship >  Types of Guardians/Conservators

Types of Guardians/Conservators

There is a preference in Alaska law for the appointment of a family member or a friend as guardian or conservator. When a family member or friend is not able or willing to serve in this capacity, the court will appoint a private professional guardian/conservator, or the Public Guardian. A private professional guardian/conservator will provide these services for compensation, usually charging on an hourly basis. In many cases a person needing these services will not have sufficient resources to pay a private professional guardian/conservator. In those cases, the Public Guardian will be appointed. In Alaska, the Office of Public Advocacy provides Public Guardian services. Public Guardians are located in the Anchorage Civil, Fairbanks, and Juneau offices. The Office of Public Advocacy charges fees for services based on a sliding scale that is specified in State regulations.