Skip to content
Back to Top

License Renewal - College - Out of Alaska

Your license or ID card expires 90 days after your 21st birthday to allow you time to renew your driver license. As an Alaska resident attending college outside of Alaska, you may have to prepare in advance to renew your license or take additional steps to ensure that you are legal to drive.

You are required to pass an Alcohol & Drug Awareness Test to renew a license after turning 21 years of age.  You may take the test before leaving the state at your local DMV office to renew your license by the regular on-line renewal process.

Please Note: Alaska does not have a grace period after a license expires. Once your license is expired, it is not legal for you to drive. If you allow your license to expire over a year, you must pass the written test again in order to renew your license.

Please Note: If you have obtained a license in another state after your last Alaska license was issued, you must renew your license in person when you return to Alaska and you must pass an Alaska general rules of the road knowledge test to renew.

How do I renew my license?

lf you are out-of-state and have not passed the Alcohol & Drug Awareness Test your driver license and/or lD card cannot be renewed until the test has been passed. You may request the required test by contacting the Anchorage Driver Services office listed below and provide your full name and date of birth and how you would like to receive the requested test. After you complete the test, send the provided answer sheet back alone with a phone number or email so the result can be sent to you. Once the Alcohol & Drug Awareness Test has been passed you will be able to renew your driver license or identification card after your 21st birthday using the regular on-line renewal procedures.

Alternatively, a temporary license may be available if you will be returning to Alaska soon and your license is expiring prior to your return. You may apply on-line here.

How long will it take to get my renewed license?

Your new driver license or identification card will come to you in two stages.  Initially you will receive a temporary card which is valid for 60 days.  The actual driver license will be mailed to you and you should receive it in approximately 2-6 weeks. You may track the progress of your card at: Track My Card

The issued license or card will be sent to the mailing address you provide on your application.  Be sure that the mailing address you provide is a deliverable address, even if it is out-of-state. The mailed license will not be forwarded by the Post Office.

Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information regarding the centralized issuance process.

How can I get help?

Please contact our Driver Services office for assistance with further questions.

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services
3901 Old Seward Highway, Suite 101
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 269-5551