Renew Your Alaska Driver License
When your license will expire in less than a year, it is time to renew it. You can either renew your license online, by mail or in person.
For Commercial Driver License holders, there are additional requirements to renew your CDL.
- How can I renew my Alaska driver license by mail?
If. . .
- You are over 22 years old
- Your personal information has not changed
- You did not renew your driver license by mail at your last renewal
We encourage you to renew online.
- What if I am younger than 22?
If you are turning 21, your license will expire 90 days after your birthday and you will need to renew your license AFTER your 21st birthday. Your new license will switch to a horizontal format instead of vertical and will no longer have age related restrictions. To obtain the new license you must take an alcohol awareness test at your local DMV office.
- What if I’m out of state when I turn 21 and my license is going to expire?
If you are out of state when you turn 21 you must take the Alcohol Awareness test before you will be able to renew online. You can request this test from our Driver Services Team by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and DL number and request that an alcohol awareness test be emailed to you. If your email does not contain the required information it will delay the assignment of the written test. Once you have successfully completed the assigned test and returned it to the Driver Services team, you will be able to renew your credential online within 5 business days. Reminder: you will not be able to renew online until AFTER your 21st birthday!
- What if I don't have a local DMV?
You may renew your license through the mail, please read the renewal section of our Guide to Rural Driving Information.
How do I update my personal information?
- Vision or Eyes
- If you had eye surgery and can pass the vision test without glasses or contacts, you can have the restriction removed from your license.
- Name Change
- If your name changed since your last license was issued, you must be able to document the change.
- Gender Change
- If your gender has changed since your last license was issued, you must provide proof of the correct information. Use form 427, and provide:
- A certification from a healthcare provider
- One of the following documents:
- An amended birth certificate
- A valid U.S. passport or passport card
- A court order granting the change of sex or gender
Please read more details about changing your personal information.
Help! I’m out of state and I am not eligible to renew my license online. What do I do?
If out of state and not eligible to renew your license online you can apply for a license extension letter online. A commercial driver license cannot be extended more than 30 days beyond the license expiring and no extension is available for licenses expired over 1 year.