Renew Your Alaska Driver License
When your license will expire in less than a year, it is time to renew it. You can either renew your license online, by mail or in person.
For Commercial Driver License holders, there are additional requirements to renew your CDL.
- How can I renew my Alaska driver license by mail?
If. . .
- You are over 22 years old
- Your personal information has not changed
- You did not renew your driver license by mail at your last renewal
We encourage you to renew online.
- What if I am younger than 22?
If you are turning 21, your license will expire 90 days after your birthday. Your new license will no longer have a restriction from purchasing alcohol. To obtain the new license you must take an alcohol awareness test at your local DMV office.
- What if I’m out of state when I turn 21 and my license is going to expire?
If you are 21 and out of state you must take the Alcohol Awareness test, which we can email you. Send us an email to email@example.com with your name and DL number. We will email you the 10 question test and the driver’s manual to help you study.
When you send the test back to us we will the score into the system and send you a note when it is ready for to use our online renewal system which is here.
If you have questions or need assistance call us at (907) 269-5551
- What if I don't have a local DMV?
You may renew your license through the mail, please read the renewal section of our Guide to Rural Driving Information.
How do I update my personal information?
- Vision or Eyes
- If you had eye surgery and can pass the vision test without glasses or contacts, you can have the restriction removed from your license.
- Name Change
- If your name changed since your last license was issued, you must be able to document the change.
- Gender Change
- If your gender has changed since your last license was issued, you must provide proof of the correct information. Use form 427, and provide:
- A certification from a healthcare provider
- One of the following documents:
- An amended birth certificate
- A valid U.S. passport or passport card
- A court order granting the change of sex or gender
Please read more details about changing your personal information.
Help! I’m out of state and I am not eligible to renew my license online. What do I do?
If out of state and not eligible to renew your license online you can apply for a license extension letter online. A commercial driver license cannot be extended more than 30 days beyond the license expiring and no extension is available for licenses expired over 1 year.