Skip to content
Back to Top

Alaska Identification (ID) Card

Anyone living in the State of Alaska can get an identification card, even children.

We encourage all Alaskans to obtain a state ID card in addition to a driver license. When traveling, your ID card can be kept in your carry-on bag in case you lose your license in your wallet or purse.

How do I get my ID?

You must apply at your local DMV. You will submit Form D1, which can be filled out and printed in advance.

What do I bring to the DMV?

You need to bring the same documents required to obtain a permit or driver license.

Please Note: A parental consent form is not required to get your State ID.

How much is an ID card?

ID cards are $15 for standard $35 for Real ID, and the standard is free to Alaskans 60 years old and older or $20 for the RealID. (more fees)

When do I need to renew my ID card?

You can renew your ID card up to one year prior to its expiration date. Your ID card will be valid for up to 8 (eight) years expiring on your birthday or 90 days after your 21st birthday, whichever occurs first. Renewing your ID card is the same steps as renewing your driver license with the exception of the vision, written or road tests which are not required.

Please note:

  • If you are 16 to 20 years old, then your ID expires 90 days after your 21st birthday and should be renewed within those 90 days.
  • If you are a college student outside of Alaska when your state ID card expires, you may renew through the mail.