EPORS Frequently Asked Questions

Who participates in the Elected Public Officers Retirement System (EPORS)?

Only those who were State Legislators, the Governor, and the Lt. Governor on October 14, 1976.

What is the EPORS vesting provision?

Five paid-up years of membership service.

What do I contribute?

Seven percent of salary.

How are benefits computed?

Each year (or part year) of State Legislator, Governor, or Lt. Governor service is calculated at 5% of the current base salary of the public office you retire from. Each year in any other covered public employment, service is calculated under the provisions of the Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). You may elect to have your benefits based on the average monthly compensation from any three high consecutive years of covered employment in place of the salary of your last public office. The maximum benefit formula percentage is 75% under either provision.

When are benefits payable?

Full unreduced benefits are payable at age 60; however, actuarially reduced early benefits are payable upon attaining age 55 or at any age if you have accrued at least 20 years of credited service. The reduction is based on the number of years and months prior to age 60 at which you commence the benefit. The reduction is 0.5% per month for each month which precedes the normal retirement age.

If you are contemplating early retirement, contact the Division of Retirement and Benefits for a projection of your benefits.

What if I leave office prior to my retirement age?

You should contact the Division of Retirement and Benefits at least one month prior to when you wish to commence your benefit.

What about survivor benefits for my spouse or dependent children?

EPORS provides an automatic survivor benefit of 50% of your accrued benefit at the time of your death (or of your actual benefit if you are already retired). If you have accrued a benefit formula percentage of less than 60% at the time of your death, the survivor benefit may not be less than 30% of the base salary of your public office or the public office from which you retired.

If there is no surviving spouse but you have dependent children, 50% of the above benefit may be divided in equal shares to your dependent children for the duration of their dependency.

What if I become disabled while I am a state legislator or public official?

If you have accrued at least 2 years of credited service and become incapacitated while in covered employment, a benefit is payable based on your credited service and your salary at the time of becoming incapacitated as though you were of normal retirement age.