TRS Military Service Credit

Claiming a Military Service Credit

You may be eligible to receive up to five years of Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS) credit for your active military service in the U.S. Armed Forces, if you were honorably discharged. TRS members, and surviving spouses of members who had served in the armed forces, may also be eligible to receive this credit.

The combined total of outside and military service claimed may not exceed 10 years.

Members first hired on or after July 1, 1990, are not eligible for TRS military credit if they are retired from regular military service and eligible for a federal benefit for the same service. Retired National Guard and Reserve Unit members may be eligible to claim active military service even though they are eligible to receive a federal retirement benefit for the same service.

Each 12 months of military service equals one school year, and lesser military periods will be determined for credit purposes in a proportionate ratio to a year.

Top of page

How to Claim Service

You may claim your military service by:

  • Completing side 1 of the Application for Military Service Credit (form 02-830); and
  • Attaching the required military documentation

After your application is received and accepted, an indebtedness will be established and you may begin making payments.

Top of page

The Cost

The cost for claiming military service (indebtedness) will depend on when you were first hired under the TRS.

Members first hired:

  • After June 30, 1990, will be charged 8.65% of their annual base salary for each year claimed.
  • After June 30, 1970, but before July 1, 1990, will be charged 7% of their base salary for each year claimed.
  • Before July 1, 1970, will be charged 5% of their base salary for each year of pre-July 1, 1970, service claimed.

Your annual, base contract salary when you were first hired under the TRS will be used to calculate your indebtedness, unless your military service occurred following termination from TRS employment and is claimed upon reemployment. In that case, your reentrance salary will be used.

Interest at the prescribed rate will begin accruing on July 1, 1963, or the date of your TRS employment, whichever is later. If the military service occurs after you terminate TRS employment and it is claimed upon reemployment, interest will accrue from the date of your reemployment or July 1, 1963, whichever is later.

Interest will continue to accrue until you pay the indebtedness in full or you retire, whichever occurs first.

The total military credit that may be claimed in the TRS and the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) is five years for those persons who have served in both systems.

Top of page

Call to Active Duty

If you are employed by a TRS employer on the date that you are called to active military duty and you return to TRS employment within 90 days following your discharge, you must pay the employee contributions that would have been due for this period to receive service credit. You are required to contact the Division to claim this time.

Please note: call to active duty does not count towards ten-year combined limit of claimed outside and military service.

Top of page

Reference: TRS033