State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Commercial Drivers License                                             


Commercial Drivers License

Type | EndorsementsRestrictions | Medical / Vision | Transferring a CDL | FAQ

You must be domiciled in the State of Alaska in order to obtain or renew an Alaska CDL. (Domicile = ALASKA MUST be your true, fixed and permanent home, and principal residence to which you intend to return whenever you are absent.)

If you live in RURAL Alaska, please CLICK HERE for additional information.

Transportation Worker Identification Credentials (TWIC) are issued by the Department of Homeland Security and are not available through DMV.

ALT Commercial Driver Manual


background check is required if you wish to obtain a hazardous materials endorsement or renew a CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement. 

A commercial driver license (CDL) is required for a resident of Alaska who is driving a vehicle intrastate (19 & above) or interstate (21 & above) with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of  26,001 pounds or more.  If you will be driving a vehicle designed to carry 16 or more passengers, or transporting hazardous materials, regardless of the GVWR, a CDL is required. A commercial driver may have only one license and that license must be issued by their home state. Those exempted from the commercial driver licensing requirements include drivers of recreational, military and emergency vehicles. Farm vehicles are exempt if controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport agricultural products or machinery to and from a farm, not used in for-hire or contract carrier operations, and if driven no further than 150 miles from the farm.

An instruction permit for specified commercial type or class of motor vehicle is valid for a period not to exceed 180 days. A commercial instruction permit may be renewed one time for a period of 180 days.

Your social security number is required to obtain a CDL. The commercial driver license fee is $100.00. There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee for those requiring a road test. You must hold a CDL permit for at minimum of 14 days before taking a CDL skills test. Road test appointments may be scheduled in any State DMV office or using our Online Services.  Please schedule your road test online, contact your local DMV,or click HERE for additional 3rd Party Testers. In the Municipality of Anchorage contact the DMV at 907-269-3752.

An applicant must be at least twenty-one years of age at the time of application and must have held a valid driver license for at least one year.   For an intrastate license, the applicant must be at least nineteen years of age.  An applicant must pass the road, vision and written test prior to issuance of the CDL.  For further information about obtaining a commercial driver license, please address your questions to: E-mail ALASKA DMV

Active duty, recently separated (1 year of application), or reservist military personnel may be allowed an exemption from the CDL driving skills test based on their holding of a military license, which authorizes operation of military vehicles that are representative of a commercial motor vehicle of a similar class.

Military personnel described above will be granted an exemption from the CDL skills test provided he or she meets all criteria required under Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR).  This exemption applies only to the CDL skills test and does not include any testing requirements for public transportation, school bus, or hazardous material. All applicants must pass the required knowledge test(s) based on the type of vehicle to be driven.

All applicants for Military Skills Test Waiver must present the following:

  • Valid Alaska Driver’s License or be able to obtain an Alaska Driver’s License
  • Valid U.S. Government Motor Vehicle Operator Identification Card
  • Military Identification Card or DD-214 if separated within 90 days previous
  • Medical certification
  • Social Security card or proof of SSN
  • Pass all required knowledge and vision tests.


Welcome to Alaska!  Please be sure to obtain an Alaska license within 30 days of your arrival if you intend to make Alaska your home. If you do not have any intention of becoming a resident of Alaska (Seasonal worker, etc.) you must have a valid CDL from your home state in order to drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle in Alaska.

To transfer a CDL from another state to Alaska, you must:

  • Complete an Application for Commercial Driver License (Form 415) and Commercial Driver Medical & Self Certification Verification (Form 413).
  • Provide proof of the following: Date of birth, legal name, social security number and your physical address IN ALASKA.
  • Surrender your valid license from another state.  (Cannot be expired for over 1 year.)
  • Pass the written "Rules of the Road" test to convert to an Alaska license.  
    (20 questions)
  • Pass the "Hazardous Materials" test if you have that endorsement and wish to keep it.

    Effective January 31, 2005, you are required to pass a background check in order to obtain or retain a hazardous materials endorsement.
  • Pass any knowledge tests for endorsements that you wish to add to your license and do not have on your current license.  Some endorsements require a road test.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pay the $100.00 fee for an ALASKA CDL.

Note:  If your CDL from another state has been expired over one year, you must pass ALL written tests that apply to the type of license you wish to obtain. A road test is required if the license has been expired over five years.


Please see the following for information on CDL Medical Cards.

Alaska FAQ regarding New Medical Cards
FMCSA New Medical Certification Requirements
A Guide for Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Holders
General Information and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Intrastate Diabetes Application Information
Intrastate Vision Application Information

Medical Report:  DOT FORMS

Vision requirements to hold a CDL are 20/40 or better corrected in both eyes.  If you do not meet the requirements, you may be eligible for a waiver for INTRASTATE, ONLY. See your eye doctor for a current vision test. If you cannot meet the vision requirements, you will need the results from your eye doctor before you can apply for a waiver. These are issued by the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division of the Department of Transportation (DOT). Vision Waiver Application  
Federal Regulation is CFR 49 391.41 (10)


A CDL license may also serve as your class D non-commercial license. If your CDL has been canceled due to no longer living in an off-highway community or due to you no longer having a valid CDL medical card, this does not cancel your class D driving privileges. The DMV encourages you to visit your local DMV office and have your canceled CDL converted to a Class D license. If you have further questions contact Anchorage Driver Services at 907-269-3770.


  • Class A/CDL - May operate a combination of a motor vehicle and one or more other vehicles with a GCWR of greater than 26,000 pounds where the combined GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is greater than 10,000 pounds; a holder of a Class A/CDL license may also operate a Class B/CDL, Class C/CDL, or Class D vehicle. (Examples: 18 wheelers, log trucks)
  • Class B/CDL - May operate a motor vehicle with a GVWR of greater than 26,000 pounds, or a motor vehicle with a GVWR of greater than 26,000 pounds that is towing a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less; a holder of a Class B/CDL license may also operate a Class C/CDL or Class D vehicle. (Examples: dump trucks, cement mixer, box trucks, motor coaches)
  • Class C/CDL - May operate any single motor vehicle, or a combination of a motor vehicle and one or more other vehicles not meeting the definitions of Class A/CDL or B/CDL, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded under hazardous materials regulations in 49 C.F.R. Part 172, Subpart F, revised as of October 1, 2009; a holder of a Class C/CDL may also operate a Class D vehicle.

You must have the appropriate endorsement on your CDL if you haul hazardous materials, pull double or triple trailers, or drive tank or passenger vehicles, or school buses.

  • Hazardous materials (H)- Required for drivers of vehicles transporting hazardous materials requiring placards per the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act. A written test and Transportation Security Administration security threat assessment is required at each driver license renewal date. - Knowledge & Background Check (Background check - Effective 1/31/05)
  • Tank vehicles (N) - Required for drivers of vehicles designed to transport liquids or gaseous materials within a tank that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or chassis. Such vehicles include, but are not limited to, cargo tanks and portable tanks, as defined in hazardous materials regulations. This definition does not include portable tanks having a rated capacity under 1,000 gallons. - Knowledge
  • Passenger (P) - Required for drivers of vehicles designed to carry 16 or more passengers including the driver. Both written and skills tests are required to obtain this endorsement. Knowledge & Skills (road test)
  • School bus (S) – Required for drivers of vehicles transporting pre primary, primary or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school- sponsored events. Both written and skills tests are required to obtain this endorsement. Knowledge & Skills (road test)
  • Double/Triple (T) - Required for drivers of vehicles pulling two or three trailers. (A dolly or load divider, sometimes referred to as a "jeep," is considered to be one trailer.) - Knowledge
  • Combination Tank/Hazardous material (X) - Required for drivers of vehicles transporting tank vehicle used to transport placardable amounts of hazardous materials. - Knowledge & Background Check (Background check - Effective 1/31/05)


If you have restrictions on your CDL you must pass the appropriate tests to drive certain types of vehicles (Air brakes, manual transmissions) or to drive in cession areas.

  • L Restriction - Air Brakes - The (L) restriction prohibits driving of vehicles with air brakes. The CDL will carry this restriction unless you pass an air brakes knowledge test and a skills test (Pre-trip Inspection and Road Test) in a vehicle equipped with air brakes.
  • M RestrictionExcept Class A Bus - The (M) restriction prohibits a driver with a passenger endorsement from operating a Class A bus if a Class A bus was not used for the skills test. A driver with a Class A CDL who also has a (P) endorsement will typically have the (M) restriction. Class A busses are not commonly found in the United States.
  • N Restriction - Except Class A and B Bus - The (N) restriction restricts a CDL holder with the passenger endorsement from operating a Class A or B bus if a Class A or B bus was not used during their passenger endorsement skills test.
  • E Restriction - Used to restrict applicant to class A and/or B automatic transmission vehicles (Not applicable to a C/CDL.)  Skills test is required to remove this restriction.
  • K Restriction - Used to restrict an applicant to intrastate* driving.
    • All applicants under the age of 21.
    • An applicant that is legally blind in one eye and has submitted a state waiver.
    • *Intrastate commerce means any trade, traffic, or transportation in any State which is not described in the term "interstate commerce".'

      *Interstate commerce (CFR 49 390.5) means trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States.

    1. Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States); or
    2. Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
    3. Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation.
  • O Restriction - No Tractor Trailer. If an applicant performs the skills test in a combination vehicle for a Class A CDL license with the power unit and towed unit connected with a pintle hook or other non-fifth wheel connection, that person is restricted from operating a tractor-trailer combination  with the "O" No Tractor Trailer Restriction.  This would include a Class B Dump Truck pulling a trailer or pup with GVWR over 10,000 lbs. with no fifth wheel connection.
  • P Restriction - No passengers in CMV bus: A Commercial Instruction Permit holder with a P endorsement is prohibited from operating a CMV carrying passengers, other than Federal/State auditors and inspectors, test examiners, other trainees, and the CDL holder accompanying the Commercial Instruction Permit holder as prescribed by § CFR 383.25(a)(1) of this part.
  • V Restriction - A Federal medical waiver and/or Skills Performance Evaluation (SPE) was required. Waiver or SPE is required to remove this restriction.
  • X restriction - No cargo in CMV tank vehicle: A Commercial Instruction Permit holder with an N endorsement may only operate an empty tank vehicle and is prohibited from operating any tank vehicle that previously contained hazardous materials that has not been purged of any residue. 
  • Z restriction - No full air brake equipped CMV: If an applicant performs the skills test in a vehicle equipped with air over hydraulic brakes, the State must indicate on the CDL, if issued, that the person is restricted from operating a CMV equipped with any braking system operating fully on the air brake principle. For the purposes of the skills test and the restriction, air over hydraulic brakes includes any braking system operating partially on the air brake and partially on the hydraulic brake principle. 
  • 7 Restriction - Off-Highway: Used in specific rural communities where road tests are not administered. Skills test is required to remove this restriction.
  • Federal Website (FMCSA)

REV.  03/18/2015