Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Division of Motor Vehicles
Important Message from Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles

The Alaska DMV switchboard is currently experiencing intermittent technical difficulties. We are sorry for any inconvenience. We are currently working to resolve the issue and thank you for your patience.
Revised 08/10/2016

Your DMV Is Different




Whether online, in line, or by mail, your DMV is faster, friendlier, and more accessible than ever before.

DMV serves most of the Alaska population by testing and issuing licenses to qualified drivers ages 16+ statewide. We also issue state identification cards for all ages. 

DMV provides proof of vehicle ownership by issuing titles for motor vehicles, manufactured homes, and trailers.

DMV also registers motor vehicles, trailers, snow-machines, boats, and all-terrain vehicles. 

In addition, DMV administers the state’s commercial driver licensing and driver improvement programs, carries out the safety responsibility law, collects motor vehicle registration taxes, and maintains driver records. 

Your DMV takes pride in its work. We are customer focused and always looking for ways to improve our services.

New Limited License

SB91 authorized a new felony DUI limited license. Please see the DMV's Limited License Page for more information.

TSA and Your Temporary ID

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) determined nationally that temporary licenses and IDs are not acceptable as stand-alone identification when traveling through TSA checkpoints. If you plan to be traveling while using your temporary ID, please be sure to bring a second form of ID to confirm your identity to avoid unnecessary delay at security.

Please refer to TSA’s website for acceptable ID's.

The Grizzly Bear Returns

 Alaska DMV is excited to announce that the much anticipated grizzly bear license plates will be available in all DMV offices Thursday, May 7, 2015, thanks to legislation sponsored by then-Representative Peggy Wilson of Wrangell, and the 28th Alaska State Legislature. The bear design consists of a standing grizzly bear in the center of the plate modeled after the 1976 bicentennial license plate beloved by Alaskans and collectors alike. Click to view the press release.

Permanent Registration for Trailers and Older Vehicles

If you live in an unorganized borough or an organized borough that passes an ordinance to participate, you may be eligible for permanent registration for your noncommercial trailer or 8 year-old (model year 2007) or older vehicle beginning January 2015.

What does this mean?
If eligible, and your registration expires January 31, 2015, or later, you can pay a one-time $25 permanent registration fee along with registration fees and motor vehicle registration taxes. At that time you will be issued a permanent “Z” tab and will not have to renew your registration again.
What if let my registration expire so I can permanently register my vehicle in January?
The effective date of this bill is January 1, 2015, so only vehicles with registrations expiring January 31, 2015, or later are eligible for permanent registration. If your registration expired in October 2014 and you want to wait until January to permanently register your vehicle, you will not be allowed because the law was not in effect when your registration expired. Instead, you will be required to renew your biennial registration for another cycle because the option for a permanent registration did not exist at the time your registration expired.
What if I buy a vehicle with a permanent registration?
If you purchase a vehicle with a permanent tab, you must pay full registration fees and motor vehicle registration taxes (if applicable). If you wish to permanently register the vehicle you must also pay an additional $25.
What if I sell a vehicle with a permanent registration?
If you sell a vehicle with a permanent tab, the new owner may elect to permanently register the vehicle by paying $25, full registration fees, and motor vehicle registration taxes (if applicable).
Can I permanently register my vehicle online?
No. You must apply for permanent registration in person. Find your nearest DMV here.

New License New Process

Alaska’s license has a new look and a new issuance process. When you obtain a new card you will receive a black and white temporary license or ID card over the counter that is valid for 60 days. The new, permanent card will be mailed to you and should arrive in approximately two weeks.

All of the newly designed cards include numerous security features to protect your identity and reduce fraud. Features include a newly designed mountain scene, a clear window in the shape of the state of Alaska, a ghost image of your photograph, a fine line pattern much like is seen on currency, and a snowflake laminate with a state seal hologram. It’s authentically Alaskan.