State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Road Test Information                                             


Road Test Information

Studded Tires

  • Commercial, non-commercial and motorcycle road tests are given by appointment only and must be scheduled in person or you may schedule from our website using our Online Services
  • Within the Municipality of Anchorage, Commercial road tests given by the Center for Employment Education (CEE)  Call 279-8451 for further information. 
  • See specific office location for tests available in each office.
  • Road tests are also available by Third Party Testers.  See Road Test Options for additional information.
  • There is a non-refundable road test fee for all road tests.  $15.00 for non-commercial passenger vehicle and motorcycle tests.  $25.00 for commercial tests.
  • You must bring your permit or your written test scores and two pieces of identification.   (Your social security number is required prior to issuance of a license.)
  • If you are under 18 years old, you must have held a valid permit for a minimum of six months prior to application for a driver's license.
  • A notarized Parent Consent form is required prior to issuance of a license for applicants under 18.  If your parent or guardian will not be accompanying you to the DMV for your appointment, you must obtain the form ahead of time and bring it with you in order to obtain your license.  The form must be completed in ink.
  • An applicant must provide the vehicle for the road test and a safety inspection of the vehicle will be performed by the examiner prior to the road test. The examiner will check the vehicle for valid registration and plates. Alaska law requires two license plates in good condition and road tests will not be conducted on vehicles when a plate is missing or unreadable.  The examiner will also check to assure that the following safety items are working: headlights, high and low beams, tail lights, tires, turn signals, windshield wipers, horn, brakes, rearview mirror, speedometer, and seatbelts for the applicant and examiner.
  • Vehicle registration and proof of insurance must be presented when you check in for your road test appointment.

  • The motorcycle course must be free of snow, ice and standing water in order for the safety of the examiner and applicant. Motorcycle road tests are not given in the winter months.

STUDDED TIRE INFORMATION:  Road tests will not be given when a vehicle has studded tires during times that they are unlawful.  It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle with studded tires on a paved highway or road from May 1st through September 15th, inclusive, north of 60 North Latitude (all communities north of Ninilchik) and from April 15th through September 30th, inclusive, south of 60 North Latitude (Anchor Point, Homer, Kodiak and cities and towns in Southeast Alaska), except that at any latitude on a paved portion of the Sterling Highway a person may not operate a motor vehicle with studded tires from May 1st through September 15th, inclusive.