Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Driver License >  Financial Responsibility Suspension

Financial Responsibility Suspension

Alaska has both Financial Responsibility and Mandatory Insurance laws. The purpose of these laws is to ensure that drivers and owners of vehicles using the streets and highways are financially responsible for any damage or injury caused by motor vehicle collisions and to remove financially irresponsible drivers from the highways.

The Division of Motor Vehicles must suspend the driver's license, privilege to drive or obtain a driver's license of drivers who fail to comply with the Financial Responsibility law. The suspension will occur when there is a reasonable possibility that the driver involved in a collision will be held liable and did not have insurance or had insufficient insurance to cover damages.

The driver can satisfy the requirements for Financial Responsibility by providing proof that the requirements have been met in one of the following ways:

  • Submit evidence to the department that an automobile liability insurance policy was in effect at the time of the collision (If you submit proof of insurance prior to the suspension date, no further action is required.) Certificate of Insurance
  • Submit releases of liability (known as a general release) with notarized signatures of all persons who received personal injury or property damages in the collision
  • Submit settlement agreements (known as a promissory note) with all persons seeking damages as a result of the collision
  • Deposit security in an amount specified by the department
  • Submit evidence that you were not liable for the damages through determination of a civil court
  • Prove that you were not liable in the collision in the Administrative Hearing process

Drivers must reinstate their privilege to drive at the end of their suspension period.

A person's license may also be suspended under the Mandatory Insurance law.

If you have additional questions you can call, write, e-mail or visit a DMV office.