State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Military Information                                             


Military Information

Veteran Designator | Military Extension | Military CDL Skills Waiver | Military Exemptions


veterans designator

If you are a retired veteran, or a veteran of the armed forces discharged under honorable conditions, you are eligible for a veterans designation on your license or ID card.

To receive the designation you must provide one of the following documents:

  1. Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or DD Form 215);
  2. Report of Separation and Record of Service, Departments of the Army and Air Force, National Guard Bureau (NGB22 or NGB22A);
  3. A letter signed by the Veterans Department that identifies the applicant as a retired veteran or veteran discharged under honorable conditions;
  4. A valid military identification card that identifies applicant as a retired veteran or veteran discharged under honorable conditions.


Military Extension

Effective in June 1997, Alaska adopted a military extension policy that states that your non-commercial driver's license is valid for 90 days after discharge or return to the State of Alaska, whichever occurs first.  As long as you are military personnel, your Alaska non-commercial  license is valid.   Effective January 1st, 2011, the policy was extended to military spouses.

A commercial license issued to a person domiciled in Alaska must be renewed every 5 years.  If you are stationed outside of Alaska and you hold a commercial license, your Alaska license is not eligible for renewal.  You must surrender your Alaska license to the state where you are currently living and obtain a commercial license in that state.

Please continue to keep your address updated with Alaska at all times.

Motorcycle Licenses for Military Members:

In Alaska a motorcycle license is a class of license and not an endorsement. This means that under Alaska law a person obtaining a new class of license, such as a motorcycle license, must be examined by the DMV.  Due to the requirement to appear in person, the Alaska DMV cannot make any modifications to your current class of license if you are not physically present in the State.  This also applies to members of the military who may be stationed out of state.

ALASKA STATUTE:  AS 28.15.101.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a driver’s license expires on the licensee’s birthday in the fifth year following issuance of the license. A license may be renewed within one year of its expiration upon proper application, payment of the required fee, and except when a license is renewed under (c) of this section, successful completion of a test of the licensee’s eyesight.  (b) The department may defer the expiration of the driver’s license of a person who is outside the state under terms and conditions that the department shall prescribe by regulation.


Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a non-commercial driver's license issued under this chapter to a person who is military personnel and who is stationed outside of this state, and that person's spouse, are extended beyond the expiration date until the earlier of the following dates:

(1) 90 days after the person who is military personnel is discharged from military service;


(2) 90 days after the person's return to the state.

If you feel you need something else in addition to the information above, a card is available to military personnel and military spouses that can be carried with the expired Alaska license. If your license is going to expire soon and you would like a military extension, click the link here (Military Extension Card) to download your extension card. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail

Military Extension Card


Military Exemption

Military Driver Licensing Exemption

AS 28.15.021(3) exempts a member of the armed forces of the United States or, if the member's spouse is 18 years of age or older, the spouse of a member of the armed forces of the United States who has a valid driver's license issued by another jurisdiction when the permanent residence of the member or spouse is maintained in that jurisdiction.

CDL Military Skills Test Waiver

Obtain a CDL with Military Skills Test Waiver

Alaska DMV has adopted the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations to assist military veterans obtain a commercial driver license.  As of June 27th, 2014, active duty service members who are currently licensed and who are or were employed within the last year in a military position requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV), may have the skills tests waived to obtain a Class A or B Commercial Driver License (CDL). Applicants are required to take and pass all knowledge tests. School Bus (S) and Passenger (P) endorsements, in addition to requirements for vehicles with air brakes, require both the knowledge and skills tests.


  • Applicants must be at least 21 years old and have a valid non-commercial driver license.
  • Applicants must be a US citizen or Non-US citizen with a valid Permanent Resident Card .
  • Applicants must have two (2) years of commercial driving experience upon discharge from the military
  • Applicants must have a minimum of two (2) years good driver record during the 2-year period immediately preceding their CDL application date
  • Applicants must have their Commanding Officer certify the service member’s years of operating the vehicle, as well as the type of vehicle operated, to determine appropriate CDL classification
  • Applicant must provide active military orders or US Dept. of Defense Form DD214

Steps to Obtain a Commercial Driver License Utilizing Military Skills Test Waiver

  1. Download an ALASKA CDL Manual online to study for the knowledge test.
  2. Bring your DOT Medical Card.
  3. Complete the Application for Commercial Driver License (CDL) Form 415 and Commercial Driver Medical & Self Certifying Verification Form 413
  4. Complete the Military Skills Test Waiver Form 416, which must be signed and notarized by your commanding officer. Bring your valid AK regular Driver License, along with a valid, unexpired Passport or Certified birth certificate filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics or Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship. Non-US citizens must bring their valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card.  You must provide proof of your USCIS status.
  5. Take and pass a CDL knowledge test(s). 
  6. Pay applicable fees.
  7. Obtain a Commercial Driver License

REV. 05/30/2014