Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Plates >  Veteran's License Plates

Veteran's License Plates

In a measure to honor persons who have served or are serving with United States Armed Forces, the Alaska State Legislature has designated several special license plates.

Military Service Plates

To obtain a veteran plate, you must submit proof you have served or are currently serving with a branch of the United States Armed Forces.

Acceptable proof of service includes:

  • copies of discharge papers (DD Form 214)
  • a letter of verification from the Veteran's Administration
  • Military Identification card
  • or other comparable proof of service

Some plates are available at most DMV offices, either at the public service counter, or they will be mailed within two business days.

Unit Designators

In addition to the service plates, symbols for specific units can be added to some plates. For a list, please visit Military Unit Designations.

NOTE: Unfortunately, at this time DMV is not creating new plate designs due to budget constraints.

How can I get help?

Please refer all questions to Carrie Craig.

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W Benson Boulevard, STE 200
Anchorage AK 99503-3600