Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Plates >  Charitable Exemption for License Plates

Charitable Exemption for License Plates

Vehicles owned by charitable or non-profit organizations, Alaska Native Tribal Village Councils, and church/religious organizations may qualify for a reduced registration fee and "exempt" license plates.

You will need to submit the following to your local DMV Office to apply for an exemption:

Additionally you will need the following specific requirements depending on the type of exemption.

Charitable of Non-Profit Organization

Letter from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that verifies your organization's tax-exempt status

Please note: The Disclosure Section of the IRS (phone: 1-877-829-5500) is the contact office for questions pertaining to tax-exempt status.

Alaska Tribal Village Councils

Affidavit stating that the vehicle is used only to conduct Village business.

Please note: This must be a federally recognized tribal entity.

Church of Religious Organization

Vehicle Transaction Application (Form 812)