Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Plates >  Disability Parking Permits & Plates

Disability Parking Permits & Plates

If you are a driver with a disability, you can apply for a special permit or a license plate that will allow you to park closer to buildings.


To obtain a disability parking permit or plate, you must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Cannot walk 200 feet without stopping
  • Cannot walk safely without using a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device.
  • Are restricted by lung disease
  • Use portable oxygen
  • Have a cardiac condition classified by Class III or Class IV according to the standards set by the American Heart Association
  • Are severely limited in your ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition


How do I get a disability parking permit?

You must bring the Special Disability Parking Permit (form 861) to a qualified health practitioner who will complete and sign the form. You may submit the completed form in person at your local DMV or by mail:

Division of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Special Disability Parking Permit
1300 W. Benson Blvd., STE 200
Anchorage, AK 99503-3600

How much does a disability parking permit cost?

There is no charge for a permit.

How long is a permit valid?

The expiration date of your permit is determined on the application filled out by your health practitioner.

For a permanent disability, your permit must be renewed every five years. You are also eligible to apply for disability license plates with parking privileges.

If you are experiencing a temporary disability, your may obtain a permit for up to 6 months.

The permit will list the expiration date.

If my car has disability plates, do I need a permit too?

No. However, you must have an Special Disability Parking Permit (form 861) indicating a permanent disability, to apply for any of the disability plates with parking privileges.

Can an organization obtain parking permits?

Yes, if you transport individuals with disabilities.  Please submit an application for organization disability parking permit (pdf).

For additional questions, please contact our Contract Services Unit at (907) 269-5575.

How do I get disability plates?

You must apply at your local DMV. To apply you will bring an application form and supporting documents.

Bring one of the following application forms:

Additionally, you may need to complete and bring the following documents:

  • You must have an Special Disability Parking Permit (form 861) indicating a permanent disability, to apply for any of the disability plates with parking privileges. If you have not already submitted it, please bring it with you.
  • You must submit certification from Veteran's Affairs (VA) stating you have a service-related disability of 50% or more to qualify for a Disabled Veteran's Plate(with or without wheelchair logo parking privileges).
What types of disability plates are available?
How much do disabled plates cost?

Your first set is free.

Additional sets of plates (or plates for a commercial vehicle) are $100, plus any applicable motor vehicle registration taxes.