Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Vehicle Registration >  Registration for Seniors

Registration for Seniors

As an Alaska resident 65 or older, you may be exempt from fees and taxes when registering a vehicle.

You are entitled to register one vehicle as exempt, if it meets the following criteria:

  • Must be a passenger vehicle, motorhome, van, pick-up truck, motorcycle or trailers
  • May not be a commercial vehicle
  • Must be titled your name

Please Note: In the case of a leased vehicle, only the lessor (who is the owner) may apply for the senior citizen exemption and the lessor must meet the requirements.

Please Note: You can only get one exemption for one vehicle. Even if you qualify for a senior, disability and disabled veteran exemption, you can still only have one vehicle exempt.

How to Apply

To apply for the first time, when you are required to renew your registration, please mail or submit to your local DMV the following:

Please note: The affidavit must be notarized or witnessed by a representative of the DMV.

Please do not renew over the Internet or telephone renewal services, if you wish to apply for a senior exemption.

What if I sell my vehicle?

To claim another vehicle as exempt you must first file a Notice of Sale Pending.

If you have permanent registration (P tab) on your plate you must surrender the plates to the DMV. Otherwise the license plates stay with the vehicle.

The new owner must pay registration fees upon transfer of title.