Registration for Seniors
As an Alaska resident 65 or older, you may be exempt from fees and taxes when registering a vehicle.
You are entitled to register one vehicle as exempt, if it meets the following criteria:
- Must be a passenger vehicle, motorhome, van, pick-up truck, motorcycle or trailers
- May not be a commercial vehicle
- Must be titled your name
Please Note: You can only get one exemption for one vehicle. Even if you qualify for a senior, disability and disabled veteran exemption, you can still only have one vehicle exempt.
How to Apply
You may apply online here for vehicles already Titled and/or registered in Alaska in your name.
You may apply by Mail or In person at your nearest DMV office as well.
- You will need to submit the following:
- Vehicle Transaction Application
- Include your Alaska Driver License Number on the application (for Verification of Age andEligibility)
A certified Copy of an identity document that verifies your age, such as a US Birth Certificate or US Passport
What if I sell my vehicle?
To claim another vehicle as exempt you must first file a Notice of Sale Pending.
If you have permanent registration (P tab) on your plate you must surrender the plates to the DMV. Otherwise the license plates stay with the vehicle.
The new owner must pay registration fees upon transfer of title.